"I am so clumsy, I forgot the passcode to my iPhone 13 again." Does this situation seem familiar to you? If yes then you are at the right place to know the right solution for your problem. This guide is loaded with the 4 most effective ways to reset your locked iPhone and get access to it again. One more bonus in this guide is the detailed steps of listed methods so a non-tech person like you can also follow them.
What scenarios does factory reset apply to?
The factory reset option on your iPhone deletes all your data and resets settings to a completely new device. Why is it kept as an option if it is a threat to your data? Well, here are the scenarios in which you are definitely going to need this option:
- You can't access your iPhone because you forgot the passcode and too many wrong attempts disabled it.
- You wish to sell your iPhone but are worried about getting your information leaked for harmful purposes.
- You bought an old iPhone but don't know the passcode the previous owner has set.
- Your iPhone is malfunctioning and nothing seems to work.
Note: As we know, factory reset deletes all the data on your iPhone or any other iOS device but you can still get your data back if you made a backup.
Method 1: How to reset your iPhone without a password via the "Erase iPhone" option
Apple introduced an "Erase iPhone" option on iOS 15.2 and later that helps you reset your iPhone in case you forgot your passcode or it is disabled. The feature got popular because it does not require iTunes or a connection to a computer. Basically, the feature erases all the data on your iPhone including your passcode to set it up as a new device with a new passcode.
Before moving to the steps, you need to fulfill these requirements:
- Your locked iPhone should run iOS 15.2 or later.
- You must be signed in to your Apple account before getting locked out. If you aren't signed in then this method will not work for you and you will not see the "Erase iPhone" option.
- "Find my iPhone" must be enabled on your iPhone.
- You should remember your Apple ID and password.
- Your locked iPhone must be connected to a secure internet connection.
- Enter the wrong passcode into your iPhone seven times to get to the "Erase iPhone" screen. After entering the wrong passcodes7 times, you will see the "iPhone Unavailable try again in 15 minutes" interface or "Security Lockout try again in 15 minutes" interface.
- Tap "Erase iPhone" located at the bottom of the screen.
- Confirm again by clicking the Erase iPhone option. It will prompt the "Sign out of Apple ID" interface. Enter your Apple ID password to erase your iPhone.
- Your iPhone will show the erasing procedure with the progress bar and white Apple logo.
- Wait for the procedure and your iPhone will automatically restart.
Security Lockout try again in 15 minutes
Security lockout click erase iphone
Sign out of apple id interface
Showing the progress of the erase
Note: Apple "Erase iPhone" is available for a limited number of users according to the feedback, the option is available for iPhone 11 and 13 but it is not available for iPhone 12.
Method 2: Forgot iPhone Password? How to Reset it via Mobitrix LockAway
Mobitrix LockAway is a professionally unlocking tool for iOS users that will never leave them stuck on the lock screen again. The tool can help you to remove the iPhone screen lock or passcode in 20 minutes. The 10+ years of extensive experience by the Mobitrix R&D team in iOS cracking make sure that you get 100% Privacy Protection and security while unlocking your iPhone.
In what situations Mobitrix LockAway can help you?
The tool comes with the purpose of removing a 4/6-digit passcode, Touch ID, Face ID, and Alphanumeric passcode. It can also help you with:
- Not remembering your iPhone screen passcode
- Entered too many incorrect passwords and stuck on "iPhone is disabled try again in X minute/connect to iTunes"
- Bought a second-hand iPhone
- Malfunction of Face/Touch ID
- Cracked iPhone Screen
- Download and Install Mobitrix LockAway
- Click "Unlock Screen Passcode" in the main menu
- Click Start to remove iPhone Passcode. And then Keyfile will be detected automatically
- Download and extract Keyfile Package
- Click "Start to Extract" after Keyfile has been downloaded successfully.
- When the extraction is complete, please click Start Unlock
- Unlock is complete.
Unlock screen passcode home
Unlock screen passcode product
Unlock screen passcode looking for keyfile
Unlock screen passcode download and verify keyfile
Unlock screen passcode firmware has been downloaded
Unlock screen passcode extraction complete
- It does not require iTunes.
- The user-friendly interface makes it easy to use for non-technical persons also.
- The success rate of Mobitrix LockAway is 99%.
- The complete unlocking procedure only takes 20 minutes.
- It comes with 100% privacy protection.
- Mobitrix LockAway supports unlocking of iPhone 5s to iPhone 13 and iOS 12/13/14/15 and later.
Your iPhone will automatically restart when the procedure is completed. A backup can be restored from iCloud backup or using a PC in case you made it before resetting your iPhone. If you haven't backed up your data before getting locked out then click "Don't transfer apps &data" directly to set your iPhone as a new device.
If you're tired of reading text guide, you can check the following video guide.
Method 3: Reset your iPhone without a password via Find My iPhone
The "Find my" app developed by Apple locates your lost or stolen iOS devices such as iPhones or iPads. Besides this, it also comes with an'Erase' feature that lets you erase your iPhone including the data and settings. This feature can be beneficial to remove the passcode and get access to your iPhone again. All you need is any browser such as a phone browser or computer browser.
- "Find My" must be enabled before you get locked out of your iPhone.
- Your iPhone must be signed in to your iCloud account before forgetting the passcode.
- Your iPhone must be connected to the internet via Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
- You must remember your Apple ID and password.
- Go to the website of iCloud.com on a web or phone browser
- Sign in by entering your Apple ID and password
- Select "Find My" and sign in again with your Apple ID password
- Click All Device and select your iPhone from the list
- Choose "Erase iPhone." and confirm again. To continue, enter your password again.
- Enter the verification code you received on your trusted device.
- Now, enter your phone number and select next, then click done.
- The iCloud website will prompt"Erase started," and erasing progress will be shown on your iPhone along with the white Apple logo.
- Wait for your iPhone to finish the erasing procedure. It will automatically restart when done. Reset your iPhone from the interface.
- Your iPhone will display "iPhone locked to the owner." Now, enter your Apple ID and password.
- Set a new passcode.
Enter your apple id and password
Click Find iPhone
Enter your Apple ID password
Click all device and choose your device
Click erase iphone
Enter the password to continue
Two factor authentication
Enter your phone number
Method 4: How to reset your iPhone via iTunes
One way to reset your iPhone without password is via iTunes recovery mode. But what is recovery mode? Basically, recovery mode is a troubleshooting mode offered by iTunes (or Finder.) It detects the issue on your iPhone and fixes it. You can use iTunes Recovery mode to reset your iPhone without a password and set it up as a new device.
- A PC or Mac
- On a PC: Install Windows 8 or later, and the latest version of iTunes
- On a Mac:
a.macOS Catalina or newer, open a Finder window.
b.macOS Mojave or older, install and launch the latest version of iTunes.
- A compatible USB cable
- Turn off your iPhone
1）Disconnect your iPhone from the computer if it is attached.
2）Now, turn it off according to the model of your iPhone:
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation): Press and hold both the side button and the Volume down button until the power off slider appears.
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6: Press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears.
- iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 5s, and earlier: Press and hold the top button until the power off slider appears.
3) Drag the slider to the left and turn off your iPhone.Wait for it to turn off completely.
- Put your iPhone in recovery mode
- Press and hold the following buttons according to your iPhone model while immediately connecting your iPhone to the computer:
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation): side button.
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: Volume down button
- iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 6s, and earlier: Home button.
- Keep holding the button till you see the recovery mode screen on your iPhone.
See the recovery mode screen
- Restore your iPhone
- Launch the iTunes app. It will prompt,"There is a problem with the iPhone that requires updating or restoring it." Select"Restore".
The iphone that requires it to be updated or restored
- Confirm the action by clicking the "Restore and Update" option on the prompt"Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone to its factory settings?"
- Tap next and select the"Agree" option in the displayed prompt"iPhone software update." The procedure of downloading and restoring will begin.
- It will take around 20 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the speed of your internet. You can also check the downloading progress by clicking the download icon in the top-right corner of your screen.
click this icon to check the download process
- Once the download is finished, you can see"iTunes will erase and restore your iPhone to iOS 15.4.1 and verify the restore with Apple". Choose the Restore option.
- iTunes will display"Extracting software…" while checking the restore software on your iPhone. You can see the restoration progress with a white Apple logo and a progressing bar. The procedure can take sometime around 20 minutes to 2 hours, according to your iPhone's data.
- When the restoration procedure is complete, it will automatically restart your iPhone. Now, choose to reset your iPhone and set a new passcode.
All of your media and other data will be erased
Preparing to restore the software on this iphone
Ios14 iphone12 pro setup restore from icloud backup ontap
- How to Reset the iPhone passcode?
To reset iPhone passcode, go to iPhone Settings > Enter your current passcode > Choose Change Passcode from the list > Select passcode type > Enter a new passcode.
- What will happen to my data?
While resetting your iPhone, you will lose all your data and settings. Your iPhone will work as a completely new device. But if you already backed up your data before resetting your iPhone then you can restore it and not lose any data.
Now, I can say that forgetting your passcode will not be an issue for you anymore. You can choose any of the above methods and remove your lock. But if you are in a hurry and want to remove your forgotten passcode immediately then Mobitrix LockAway will be the best option for you. So download it now.