Forgot iPhone passcode? Feel yourself lucky! Being a super tech enthusiast and the most loyal Apple fan on earth, I am at your service with 5 effective solutions in this article. Don’t worry if you are not familiar with technology because I will guide you step by step to avoid any confusion. So please stop wrestling with your iPhone and follow me right now.
Part 1 Facts To Be Cleared Before Unlocking iPhone Passcode
When you forget your iPhone passcode, don’t rush to guess and constantly enter the wrong passcode. The more times you guess wrong, the longer you will be locked out.
Apple truly cares about your iPhone’s security. iOS military-grade encryption prevents anyone from getting into your iPhone if they don't know your screen passcode, even yourself. So to get into your iPhone, the only way is to restore/erase it. You can restore your backup later to get your data back if you have made a regular backup previously.
Now, if anyone claims to unlock your iPhone passcode without restoring it or data loss, remember it’s just plain impossible!
Part 2 Five Practical Methods To Fix “Forgot iPhone Passcode” Problem
Method 1- How to Unlock iPhone if you "Forgot iPhone Passcode" via Mobitrix LockAway (The Fastest and Easiest Solution)
If you want to unlock your iPhone screen as fast as possible without any hassle, Mobitrix LockAway is your best solution. It can help you remove your iPhone screen lock in just a few simple clicks within 20 mins.
Introduction of Mobitrix LockAway:
Mobitrix LockAway is a professional unlocking tool that remove screen lock for iPhone/iPad permanently. It enjoys 10+ years of R&D experience in iOS, iPadOS lock cracking. It can help you solve the following situations you encounter：
- You forgot the iPhone passcode
- You bought a second-hand iPhone
- iPhone is disabled/unavailable due to too many incorrect attempts
- Your Face/Touch ID was not working normally
- Your iPhone screen is cracked
Once your iPhone screen passcode is removed, your iPhone will restart automatically, and then you can reset your iPhone from scratch. You can restore your data from iCloud or iTunes if you’ve backed up previously at this step.
Need to meet some requirements?
Not at all! Just give away all your troubles to Mobitrix LockAway and see the magic.
- There is no need for iTunes.
- It is easy to use with a few simple clicks with any tech hassle.
- It has a 99% success rate.
- This tool is fast and takes about 20 minutes to remove your iPhone passcode. You can then create a new one.
- 100% Privacy Protection is guaranteed.
- It supports iPhone 5s through iPhone 13, iOS 12/13/14/15, and later.
- Download Downloadand Install Mobitrix LockAway
- Tap on “Unlock Screen Passcode” in the main menu
- Click "Start" to remove iPhone passcode.
- Remove the forgotten passcode successfully
Mobitrix LockAway - Click “Unlock Screen Passcode”
Mobitrix LockAway - Click "Start" to remove iPhone passcode.
Mobitrix LockAway - Remove Screen Lock
Mobitrix LockAway - iPhone Unlock is Complete
Trust me, if you are in some urgent situations, Mobitrix LockAway is definitely the best choice. It is well-known as time-saving and effort-saving. But if you are not in a hurry and interested in some official ways, I have summarized the most comprehensive guide covering 5 ways below. But these ways are either time-consuming with a low success rate or need to meet some strict requirements to follow them. Read further!
Method 2- How to unlock iPhone if you "Forgot iPhone Passcode" via “Erase iPhone” option without a computer
Some versions of iOS 15.2 and later now have an “Erase iPhone” option on the Unavailable or Security Lockout screens. This option can be seen at the bottom-right of your screen, and it can completely erase all the data including the passcode on your iPhone without a PC or a Mac. And then you can reset your iPhone as a new device from scratch.
- Only iOS and iPadOS 15.2 and later support this feature.
- In order to perform a reset, your device must be connected to a cellular or Wi-Fi network.
- Your locked iPhone has enabled Find My and hasn't signed out of Apple ID.
- You need to know your Apple ID and password.
- You first need to input the incorrect passcode seven times. After the seventh time, you'll be redirected to the “Security Lockout try again in 15 minutes” interface. Here, you can see the 'Erase iPhone' option on the lower-right part of the interface.
- Tap the 'Erase iPhone.' option
- Now, tap Erase iPhone option again to be redirected to the 'Sign out of Apple ID ' interface. Here you need to input your Apple ID password to erase your iPhone.
- You'll be able to see the progress of the erase on your iPhone.
- Your iPhone will automatically restart as the erase process ends.
Security Lockout try again in 15 minutes
Security lockout click erase iphone
Sign out of apple id interface
Showing the progress of the erase
- Your locked iPhone can be erased and reset without a Mac or PC.
- Your data cannot be erased by strangers using this feature as your Apple ID and password is required to complete the process.
- You may not always find the "Erase iPhone" option. Some models have it while others don’t. For example, this option is not available on iPhone 12, whereas it can be seen on iPhone 13 or 11. The exact reason behind this remains unclear. Till now, Apple has not formally announced the reason behind the absence of this option in some iPhone models.
- After my own several tests, I have found that the 'Erase iPhone' button can stop working periodically. It is very likely that you cannot tap this option due to some unknown tech bugs.
If you can't find Erase option on your iPhone Unavailable or Security Lockout screen, don’t hesitate to try Method 1 to save your valuable time.
Method 3- How to unlock iPhone if you "Forgot iPhone Passcode" via Find My iPhone
Find My locates lost devices and keeps track of family members. It can also erase your device and delete all personal data, including your iPhone screen passcode, except for location-related functions. Check the following requirements before trying it:
What Do You Need?
- Your locked iPhone should have enabled ‘Find My’ feature.
- The locked iPhone should have your iCloud account logged in.
- You need to know the Apple ID and password that are linked to the locked device.
- The locked iPhone should have an active and stable cellular or Wi-Fi network.
How to Use Find My to unlock iPhone if you "Forgot iPhone Passcode"
- Navigate to iCloud.com on either phone or web browser.
- Next, enter your Apple ID and password.
- After logging in successfully, tap 'Find iPhone', input your Apple ID password again, and tap 'Sign in.'
- Now click 'All Device' and select yours.
- Click 'Erase iPhone.' You will notice a prompt saying, 'Erase this iPhone？' Tap 'Erase.'
- Now enter your password to proceed.
- A message with a verification code will arrive on your trusted device. Enter the verification code to continue.
- Now you need to input your phone number and click 'Next.'
- You will notice on the iCloud website showing “Erase Started.” In the meantime, you will see a white Apple logo on your iPhone screen showing the process of erase
- When the process finishes, your iPhone will restart. Swipe up to arrive at the interface for resetting your iPhone. You will find your iPhone displaying 'iPhone locked to owner.' When you see this message, enter your Apple ID and password.Click Next, then you can create a new passcode.
Enter your apple id and password
Click Find iPhone
Enter your Apple ID password
Click all device and choose your device
Click erase iphone
Enter the password to continue
Two factor authentication
Enter your phone number
Method 4- How to unlock iPhone if you "Forgot iPhone Passcode" via iTunes Backup
If you’ve previously synced your iPhone with iTunes, you can restore all your data from your recent backup. So you won’t lose your data. Once the restore process completes, your passcode will be erased from your iPhone as well.
If your iPhone has synced with your Mac :
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac using a USB cable.
- Open Finder, in the sidebar under Locations, select your device.
- From the bar on top, select General. Scroll down and select “Restore Backup” under “Backups”.
- All your backups will be displayed, choose one to restore from
- Enter your Mac password, click restore. Your data will be restored. Your passcode will be also removed and then you can set a new one.
If using a Windows computer and you have synced your iPhone with iTunes：
- Connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Open iTunes, if it prompts for a passcode, try connecting to another computer, if not just wait for your iPhone to be synced by iTunes.
- Once the sync completes, click on “Restore iPhone” and let the process complete.
- Once completed, the iOS setup screen will pop up, click on “Restore from iTunes Back-up” and select your latest backup to restore from.
This method is only applicable if you had synced your iPhone with your computer and a backup of your data exists, otherwise it can’t work. Also If you see the error showing "iTunes could not connect to the iPhone because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPhone before it can be used with iTunes". It means you need to unlock your disabled screen with iTunes Recovery mode.
Method 5- How to unlock iPhone if you "Forgot iPhone Passcode" via iTunes Recovery Mode
Recovery Mode is a built-in iOS troubleshooting mode where you can use an app — either iTunes or Finder to diagnose and fix the problems of your iPhone when it is connected to the computer. Since your iPhone is locked/disabled, iTunes can not detect it automatically. For this reason, you need to put your locked iPhone into recovery mode first. Recovery mode allows you to erase the iPhone, giving you access to configure your iPhone again.
- You need a PC or a Mac
- On a PC: Ensure the installation of Windows 8 or later and the latest version of iTunes.
- On a Mac:
- macOS Catalina or newer, launch the Finder.
- macOS Mojave or older, install and open the latest version of iTunes.
Steps: ( For Windows Users)
- Turn off your iPhone
- Unplug your iPhone from the computer if it’s connected.
- Turn off your iPhone using the method for your iPhone model:
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X and later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation): Press and hold both the side button and the Volume down button until the power off slider appears.
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6: Press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears.
- iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 5s, and earlier: Press and hold the top button until the power off slider appears.
- Get ready by finding the button on your iPhone that you'll need to hold in the next step:
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X and later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation) use the side button.
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus use the Volume down button
- iPhone SE (1st generation), and iPhone 6s and earlier use the Home button.
See the recovery mode screen
- Open iTunes, iTunes will show "There is a problem with the iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored". Click Restore.
- Then iTunes prompts "Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased". Click Restore and Update.
- A window of 'iPhone software update' will appear. Click 'Next' and click “Agree” on the terms. iTunes will start downloading the software for your iPhone. It will restore your iPhone when the download process finishes.
- Depending on your internet speed and download source, the download time will vary from 20 mins to 2h. Click this download icon in the top-right corner to check the download progress.
- When the "iPhone software update" is downloaded, iTunes will pop up “iTunes will erase and restore your iPhone to iOS 15.4.1 and will verify the restore with Apple. ” Then click Restore
- The above-middle bar will show “Extracting software…”. It means iOS 15.4.1 iTunes is preparing to restore the software on this iPhone.
- Your iPhone will show the restoration progress with a white Apple logo. It takes between 20 minutes and 2 hours to restore your iPhone, depending on the amount of data. And when the restoration is complete, your iPhone will automatically restart. iTunes will display as follows:
- After your iPhone restarts, you can reset your iPhone from scratch. You can create a new passcode if you want.
The iphone that requires it to be updated or restored
All of your media and other data will be erased
click this icon to check the download process
Preparing to restore the software on this iphone
iPhone software update
Your iPhone has been restored to factory settings
Ios14 iphone12 pro setup restore from icloud backup ontap
- The whole process is complex and tricky, not friendly with newcomers.
- Your iPhone may be stuck during the download or recovery mode process, which means you have to start from scratch.
- It has a low success rate which may take you a few hours and may not succeed in the end.
- Various unpredictable error codes may appear due to tech bugs. (Apple rarely updates iTunes) For example,
- iTunes won’t download or update–Entry Not Found, iTunes Error 7
- iTunes could not connect to this iPhone–iTunes Error Codes 13, 39, 2000, 2001.
- iTunes Won't Restore iPhone—iTunes Error Codes 9, 4005, 4013, 4014.
Part 3 Avoid Using Siri to Save Your valuable Time
While searching “I forgot my iPhone passcode” or “forgot iPhone passcode” your eyes might have rolled through “Unlock Forgotten iPhone Passcode via Siri”. Let me tell you beforehand this way is super limited. I suggest that if you wish to save your precious time, avoid trying Siri.
- It only supports iOS versions under 10.1.
- Inconveniently, this method is quite time-consuming and does not guarantee 100% success.
- You can only use it when your iPhone is enabled. Turn on your iPhone and enter the passcode at least once after turning it on. In other words, if the iPhone is still encrypted (The passcode has not been entered after it has been turned on), Siri won't work.
- Apple ID and password are required.
1. Is this tutorial available for all iPhone models?
Yes, this article is of great value for all iPhone models. Specifically, I prefer Mobitrix LockAway as it supports iPhone 5s through iPhone 13, iOS 12/13/14/15, and later. Erase iPhone option is available for some versions of iOS 15.2 and later, as stated above, while other methods are either not user-friendly or have strict limitations.
2. I entered the wrong passcode 10 times and my iPhone deleted all data automatically. Why did that happen?
If all your iPhone’s data is deleted automatically after 10 wrong passcode attempts, the reason is that you must have set your iPhone to delete all data after 10 consecutive wrong passcode attempts. Don’t worry. You can turn this feature off by following steps:
- Go to Settings
a. On an iPhone with Face ID: Tap Face ID & Passcode.
b. On an iPhone with a Home button: Tap Touch ID & Passcode.
- Turn Off Erase Data.
3.How to back up your iPhone as a proactive approach to avoid data loss in case you forgot your iPhone passcode again?
Undoubtedly, A locked iPhone is a hard nut to crack, but I’ve made it as easy as possible with this article. With Mobitrix LockAway, it becomes easier, just like bread and butter with zero requirements, 99% success rate, and easy steps to follow.
Now follow the expert advice given in this article, and boom, Problem solved!