Is your disabled iPhone giving nightmares? Does a disabled iPhone lose data? Can I fix my disabled iPhone? We feel your pain as we have been there too and fixed our share of iPhones. Now you don't have to become a tech whiz to solve this frustrating problem. This guide will cover the easiest five methods to fix your disabled iPhone in no time. Let's jump in!
Why Is My iPhone Disabled?
An iPhone is only for its sole user and can get disabled if multiple failed attempts to passcode exist. It's not always someone else who tries to access your iPhone and get it disabled. Sometimes it can be you. The iPhone automatically disables itself when there are too many failed attempts for a certain period. This is done to protect your data from being tampered with.
But why is my iPhone disabled? The passcode is a great security measure. But rarely, the multiple ghosts touch in your pocket can be the culprit. Moreover, consider it all gone if your settings include erasing data after ten incorrect attempts.
Method 1: Unlock A Disabled iPhone Without A Computer
In iOS 15.2 and later versions, there's an "Erase iPhone" option. It gets activated after you've tried too many wrong passcodes. Basically, it erases all data from the iPhone including the forgotten screen passcode. Follow the steps below to unlock your disabled iPhone with this option.
- After seven failed passcode attempts, you will see the "Erase iPhone" button at the bottom right of your screen.
- Tap the "Erase iPhone" button
- Apple will ask you to tap again "Erase iPhone" for confirmation. After confirmation, there will be a new screen saying, "Sign out of Apple ID." You need to enter your Apple ID password to erase all your data.
- The erasing process will start, and you can see the progress on your screen.
- After a successful reset, your iPhone will restart automatically.
If you can't find the "Erase iPhone" button on your screen, then make sure the following:
- Your disabled iPhone is running iOS 15.2 or later.
- Before the security lockout, your Apple ID was logged in. If it weren't, you probably wouldn't see the "Erase iPhone" option.
- Find My has been enabled.
- You remember your Apple ID password.
- You have active internet, either Wi-Fi or cellular.
Note: If you cannot see the "Erase iPhone" button or cannot tap it, try entering the incorrect password one more time. If the button still stays unclickable, you shall go for another method. Also, the Erase iPhone option is only available on limited iPhone models and iOS versions.
Method 2: Unlock A Disabled iPhone Without iTunes Or iCloud
It doesn't matter anymore if you have forgotten your iPhone screen passcode or have got a secondhand iPhone with a passcode. This simple and professional unlocking tool - Mobitrix LockAway can help you. It is the easiest and fastest approach to remove the iPhone screen lock within 20 mins.
Here is a step-by-step guide for using Mobitrix LockAway to unlock disabled iPhones without iTunes or iCloud
- Download Download and Install Mobitrix LockAway
- Go to the main menu and click "Unlock Screen Passcode."
- Click “Start” to remove iPhone Passcode.
- The iPhone Unlocking is complete!
Why Do I Recommend Mobitrix LockAway?
- You don't need iTunes to unlock your disabled iPhone.
- Nor do you need technical understanding as it's friendly to use.
- It's pretty fast, so if you are in a hurry, it will save you time.
- It guarantees 100% privacy protection and a 99% success rate.
- It fully supports iPhone 5s-iPhone 14 and iOS 12/13/14/15/16 and later.
Method 3: Unlock A Disabled iPhone Without iTunes Or A Computer
As an iPhone user, you must be aware of Find My. It is a one-stop app for anything location-related. Normally the user assumes it's only used if they have lost their device. But it can also be used to reset the locked Apple devices with its function "Erase it with ease." It wipes out all your data, including your iPhone screen passcode.
There is a misconception that it may change your iOS version, but it's not true. It will only erase all your data and settings, including your passcode but not the iOS version. Let's discover it.
- Find My must have been enabled on your disabled iPhone
- Your iCloud account must have been signed in
- You should remember your Apple ID and password
- Your iPhone must have access to an active internet connection, either Wi-Fi or a cellular network
Situation 1: Using the Find My on iCloud.com
- Visit iCloud.com on a browser (You can use both your phone browser and a web browser)
- Sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID and password
- After logging in successfully, Click Find iPhone
- Enter your Apple ID and secret password again and click "Sign in"
- Now click "All Devices" and select yours
- Click "Erase iPhone" There will be a pop-up saying, "Erase this iPhone?". Tap "Erase"
- Now enter your Apple ID password to proceed
- Enter the verification code, which will be received on your trusted device.
- Now it will ask you to input your phone number and click "Next."
- You will see the progress erasing on your iPhone as the iCloud website displays "Erase Started."
- Your iPhone will restart after the process is finished. Log in with your Apple ID and password to make a new passcode.
Situation 2: Using the Find My on App
You may be thinking about how I can use the Find My app when my iPhone is locked and disabled. You can't use yours. This method works if you have another iOS device. It can be of any of your family members or friend. Let's go through it step by step.
- Launch Find My on the other iPhone or other iOS devices.
- Login to your account with your Apple ID and password. This account must be linked to your iPhone, which you are trying to unlock.
- A list of devices will be displayed. Select the iPhone you are trying to unlock.
- The current location and other options will be shown on the interface.
- Tap "Erase iPhone" among the options. It will ask for confirmation.
- After confirmation, the process will start.
Method 4: Forgot iPhone Passcode? Unlock It Via iTunes
iTunes is a media management software. Plus it also has a "Restore" function that helps unlock a disabled iPhone. But the bad news is Apple often doesn't update it, so it has some bugs and can take hours to unlock your disabled iPhone!
How To Use iTunes To Unlock The Disabled iPhone?
You can use a MAC or PC to unlock your disabled iPhone with iTunes. If you are using macOS Catalina or a newer version open the Finder window! While for macOS Mojave or older versions, install and open the latest version of iTunes.
For PC users ensure you have window 8 or a later one along with the latest version of iTunes. And don't forget to grab a compatible USB cable. Now perform the following steps:
Step By Step Guide
Step 1: Turn Off Your iPhone
Firstly make sure your iPhone isn't connected to the computer. Now completely turn off your iPhone.
Step 2: Get your iPhone in Recovery Mode.
- Firstly remember the button you need to hold in the next step depends on your iPhone model.
- Side Button for iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X, and later versions, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation)
- Volume button for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
- Home button for iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 6s, and earlier versions
Step 3: Restore your iPhone
- Connect to iTunes and a pop-up will appear" There's a problem with iPhone that requires it to be updated or restored." Now you have two options either update it or else restore it. Click Restore.
- Now click on Restore and Update.
- A window "iPhone Software Update" will pop up. Click next and then Agree for all terms.
- Once the update is downloaded, you will see "iTunes will erase and restore your iPhone to iOS 15.4.1 and verify the restore with Apple" pop up and click Restore.
- The message bar will now show "extracting software…". Remember, it means iOS 15.4.1 iTunes is now working to restore the software on the iPhone.
- You will see a restoration progress bar along with the crispy white apple logo. Once finished, the iPhone will automatically restart. And then you can reset your iPhone and create a new passcode.
Method 5: Unlock A Disabled Iphone Via iPhonePass Without Data Loss
Do you want to unlock a disabled iPhone without losing any data? You can do it with iPhonePass, a free unlocking tool launched by Mobitrix. It supports iPhone 5s to iPhone X models. As there's a CPU chip vulnerability in these old iPhone models, there's a possibility that by jailbreaking you can get super authority to delete and modify the screen passcode.
- Get your MAC ready (All versions are fine)
- Download a lock removal tool – iPhonePass
- Download a Jailbreak tool - Checkra1n
- To Jailbreak your iPhone launch Checkra1n and tap on Start.
- Make sure your iPhone doesn’t get disconnected before the Checkra1n is installed.
- After jailbreaking don’t use your iPhone at once.
- Now connect your MacBook to your disabled iPhone.
- Let your iPhone and MAC establish a network link. Open "Terminal" and enter this command "sudo iproxy 22 44"
- It's time to remove the screen password and then double click to delete the script "deliphonepass.sh".
After completing the process, your iPhone screen passcode will be removed, but all your data will be safe. Now simply go to your iPhone as usual and reset your new passcode.
After you reset the new passcode, you shall turn off the jailbroken state of your iPhone. Once your iPhone enters jailbreaking state it's no longer safe. This is a big problem, but with Mobitrix Prefix, you can solve this problem. The standard repair turns off the jailbreak state without affecting your data.
Note: If your device is not in the supported models, this method does not work.
How To Avoid Getting A Disabled iPhone Again?
Prevention is always better than cure. So before getting your iPhone disabled, follow these precatory measures.
- Firstly, set up an additional Face ID or Touch ID.
- At regular intervals, back up your data to avoid data loss if a tragedy happens.
- Disable the "Raise To Wake" and "Tap To Wake" options to avoid ghost push-in pockets.
- Create a strong and easy-to-remember passcode and remember it carefully.
- If you are sharing your iPhone with anyone, then remove the passcode. If needed, create a separate account for them with different passcodes.
- If you have set a time limit of the passcode, then avoid keying in passcodes too many times, as it will disable your iPhone.
- Can I unlock a disabled iPhone without losing data?
- For how long does an iPhone gets disabled?
It won't matter if you are using an Apple method or a 3rd part unlocking software as all data may not be recovered if you haven't created regular backups. If you want to go for a professional unlocking tool, then Mobitrix LockAway is recommended.
It all depends on the number of times you have entered a wrong passcode.
- If you have entered a wrong passcode 6 times, your iPhone will be disabled for 1 minute.
- If you have entered a wrong passcode 7 times, your iPhone will be disabled for 5 minutes.
- If you have entered a wrong passcode 8 times, your iPhone will be disabled for 15 minutes.
- And if you enter a wrong passcode 9 times or more, your iPhone will be disabled for 60 minutes.
But after 10 attempts, your iPhone will be disabled and you'll see a message saying that your iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes. Plus all your data can be erased if your setting instructs iPhone to delete all data after 10 wrong passcode attempts.
Your iPhone can get disabled due to different reasons. When the iPhone gets disabled, you can choose the method that fits your situation. The key is to choose the method that perfectly suits you. Lastly, if you are looking for an easy way to unlock a disabled iPhone easily, consider exploring Mobitrix LockAway.