Switching from the Android world to the iOS realm is exciting.
But you only want to let go of your old Android phone.
Not the memories you've created with it…like your WhatsApp messages.
However, this process is more than simply backing up your WhatsApp chat data in the old Android, and then trying to transfer it to a new iPhone.
Android and iOS are different operating systems. In such a phone switch, WhatsApp will only allow the transfer of your account information, not the chat history.
Maybe you have tried tons of other ways listed online also, but guess they're either ineffective or end up getting you more confused. So the question remains:
Is It Still Possible to Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone via Backup?
My answer to you is...Yes! You can back up the WhatsApp messages on your Android device [go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup to do this], then restore the backup to your iPhone using a secure third-party WhatsApp transfer tool.
With that being said, I’ve tested 20+ third-party data transfer tools myself, in terms of their transfer speed, supported data ranges/types, etc, and finally narrowed down the list to 4.
If you want to move your WhatsApp messages from Android to your new iPhone, I would recommend you to take a look.
These method are applicable anywhere, whether you are in India, United States, United Kingdom, etc.
- Method 1: 1-Click WhatsApp Chats Transfer using Mobitrix [Most Convenient]
- Method 2: Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone via WhatsAppTrans Box [Free Tool]
- Method 3: Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone via WhatsAppTrans [Free Tool]
- Method 4: Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone Using Email [Easy & Time-consuming]
- Bonus Tips: Using a Phone Number/SIM card/Google Drive DOES NOT transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone.
Find Your Best Pick for WhatsApp Chat Transfers
|Transfer Tool||Difficulty||Data Type||Data Range||Required Time||WhatsApp Account Transfer|
|Mobitrix WhatsApp Tranfer||OK||All||All||30 mins||✓|
|WhatsAppTrans Box||Complex||only texts||Past 3 months||60 mins||✓|
Messages & Country Limits: WhatsApp puts limits on the number of messages that can be transferred. Certain country restrictions can also affect WhatsApp chat transfer via email.
Method 1: 1-Click WhatsApp Chats Transfer using Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer
Unlike most, I never go for a solution just because it’s a big brand or others tell me it's good. I always like to do my own research and feel for myself.
When switching from an Android phone to an iPhone, the first thing I want is convenience. I want to transfer all my files, contacts, pics, etc without hassles, better as soon as possible.
And I need an assurance that all my precious memories like WhatsApp messages get transferred properly and safely, since I didn't back them up just to lose them later.
It’s indeed easy to find a myriad of third-party tools online, but not easy if I want one that gives me peace of mind.
After a series of experiments, I finally set my eyes on Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer and walked out of this dilemma.
Simply follow the steps below to experience how it's done.
Step 1: Download the Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer tool.
Step 2: Then, use USB cables to connect your Android device and iPhone to your computer
Step 3: Click Transfer. Next, click Transfer. All your WhatsApp data will begin to be transferred from your Android to iPhone immediately.
Note: Keep both devices connected until the transfer is completed. Once done. you'll be able to see all your WhatsApp data fully moved onto your iPhone.
- Easy-to-Use: I didn’t need to grab a manual for every step when using this tool. The whole process took only 3 steps. Besides, its video tutorials helped me understand how it works right away.
- Safe & Protected Privacy: As I noticed, all the data was only on my local computer during the transfer, giving me a great relief from privacy leaks. Plus, I checked its encryption measures—— the same type of protocols used by banks, actually.
- 1-Click Direct Transfer: I got everything transferred – chats, files, media, videos, photos -- from my Android to iPhone without using Google Drive. And I didn’t miss a thing. Surprisingly, I even restored some precious pictures sent 2 years ago from an Indian friend.You can imagine my amazement!
- No Need to Uninstall WhatsApp: When I was using this tool to restore WhatsApp backup from Android to iPhone directly, I didn’t even uninstall my WhatsApp but it worked still. I also tested if it supported other devices. So far, iPhone 13, 13 Pro, 14, 15, Samsung Galaxy S21, Xiaomi, One Plus Nero 2, etc, are all fine!
Method 2: How to transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone via WhatsAppTrans Box?
WhatsAppTrans Box is another useful tool I’ve discovered that can help transfer WhatsApp chat history across different operating systems.
- Completely free.
- Support restoring chat history into the WhatsApp of a new device.
- Support bulk transmission of data.
- Support WhatsApp chat transfer among all types of smartphones.
- Only support transferring chat history for the past 3 months.
- Only support WhatsApp text transfer. Other types of data, such as pictures, videos, attachments, emoji/stickers, etc are not available for migration.
You can check below for detailed instructions:
Step 1: Download the Toolkit of WhatsAppTrans Box.
Step 2: Extract the WhatsApp data from your Android phone.
- Backup your WhatsApp data into your phone storage.
- Connect your Android phone to your PC. Run [copywhatsapptopc] to copy the WhatsApp data into your PC.
- Disconnect the Android phone and install an Android emulator. There are many emulator tools available on Internet, please select one for installation.
For example, here is an emulator option named Bignox.
Please set ROOT permission after installing the simulator.
- Download WhatsApp from the official website, and then install WhatsApp on your Android emulator.
- Run [copywhatsapptoandroid] to copy the WhatsApp folder on PC into the emulator.
- Log in to WhatsApp on the emulator, then you can restore WhatsApp backup on the emulator.
- Extract the WhatsApp databases from the emulator. Run [pullwhatsapptopc] to copy the database directory to the PC in order to facilitate the subsequent transfer.
Note: Do NOT immediately log in to your WhatsApp right after your installation.
Note: the path of the database is /data/data/com.whatsapp/databases/.
Step 3: Transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone
whatsappandroid2iphone.exe is our core tool. It can help you transfer the WhatsApp data that you back up in your Android phone to your iPhone. On the other hand, it has a few limitations. It can only transfer your chat history and just for the past 3 months.
- Execute [whatsappandroid2iphone].
Step 4: Restore WhatsApp from Android to iPhone
- Download and install WhatsApp in your iPhone and log in.
- Connect your iPhone to PC and execute [restorewhatsappdata].
Then, you can see your chat history on WhatsApp.
If you want to know how to transfer WhatsApp data from Android to iPhone (recent 3 months) like this, I'd recommend you to choose this WhatsAppTrans Box tool.
If you’d like to transfer all your past data wholly and in an easier way, then Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer software is highly recommended.
And if you have a PC background, you can use WhatsAppTrans(Method 3) to save all your chats.
Method 3: Using Mobitrix WhatsAppTrans (free tool) to transfer WhatsApp from Android to iPhone
Mobitrix WhatsAppTrans is also a free tool. With it, you can successfully transfer your WhatsApp from Android to iPhone in most cases, if you follow the instructions below step by step.
However, do please read carefully before using this tool:
- Mobitrix WhatsAppTrans is a free tool.
- WhatsAppTrans requires sufficient computer skills, therefore it is not recommended for users with no tech background.
- You might risk losing data due to incorrect practices. Cannot guarantee 100% success rate for using this free tool.
- This tool can transfer messages from multiple contacts at the same time, but you are not able to check messages on WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Instead, the chat history is available in the iPhone's "Files" App.
Please check the detailed instructions as below:
You will first export the WhatsApp data from the Android device.
Step 1: Click 'Download' at Github.
Download customized version WhatsApp(.apk) or WhatsApp business(.apk) based on your needs.
And then, download the WhatsApp data export tool: ExportAndroidWhatsApp.exe
Note: Open your Android device's file manager and make sure the WhatsApp directory exists. If not, please DO NOT use this method to transfer the WhatsApp chats to iPhone/iOS devices.
Step 2: Use WhatsApp local backup feature to back up your data to an Android device [Please ensure that you successfully backup the WhatsApp data at this step or you may lose the data]. After, you need to delete the official WhatsApp and install the customized version of WhatsApp. Next, open the customized version of WhatsApp and log in to your WhatsApp account. Please allow the storage permissions the first time. You should see the restore screen now and please click restore data.
Step 3: Open the Android file management and find the "WhatsApp" folder. Under this path, please create a new file named "data. flg". Once you have finished, open the customized WhatsApp and wait for few seconds (the waiting time depends on your data size). After that, re-open the "WhatsApp" folder and ensure you have a new file named ok.flg and a new folder named "chatpath", which means you successfully exported the WhatsApp chat history of your Android device.
Step 4: Connect your Android device to the PC; copy and paste the "WhatsApp" folder to your PC.
Step 5: Open the CMD terminal on the PC and run the following command:
ExportAndroidWhatsApp.exe WhatsApp path
All your chat history will be saved on a "txt" file under your WhatsApp directory if successful.
Step 6: Download iTunes and connect your iPhone device to the PC.
Step 7: Use the file management feature to import the images and other media files from the "Media" folder (under WhatsApp directory) to your iPhone. We recommend that import all media files to iPhone's "Photos", which allows you to check all WhatsApp images, photos, videos, and audios on your iPhone.
Step 8: You may want to import all txt files of the "txt" folder (Under WhatsApp directory) to your iPhone as well as import to the "Photos" directory. In this way, you can check all chat history by click on your iPhone. We also recommended you send these txt files to your secondary account or your relatives, and it can permanently keep these WhatsApp messages from your Android device to your iPhone.
In a word, if you have sufficient tech knowledge, we suggest that you choose the Mobitrix WhatsAppTrans tool.
If you don’t and still need to transfer WhatsApp data, we highly recommend Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer software as the first choice. It is designed for all WhatsApp users regardless of their skills and backgrounds.
Method 4: Move WhatsApp Chats from Android to iPhone Using Email.
Email is another effective way to move your WhatsApp data from an Android to your iPhone. I’ve added this in because it’s super common and easy to use.
Be careful though: you can only do this by transferring your chats in succession which could end up taking up all of your time.
Here's how to go about it;
- On your Android device, open WhatsApp and select the WhatsApp chat you'd like to transfer to the iPhone.
- Now, tap on "Settings > More > Export Chat >Email" and choose whether you'd like to attach media or not.
- Enter the recipient email address and hit the Send button. Now log in the recipient email on your iPhone. You should be able to access the attached chats.
- It's a relatively simple way to transfer WhatsApp to a new phone.
- You can only use it to transfer WhatsApp messages one after another.
- You can't open the chats in WhatsApp on the new iOS device since they are attached as ".txt" documents.
- You can only transfer up to 10,000 latest messages with attachments and 40,000 messages without media attachments.
Tips: Using a Phone Number/SIM card/Google Drive DOES NOT transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iPhone.
You’ve probably wondered or even seen an article saying it’s possible to transfer WhatsApp backup from Android to iPhone via Phone Number, SIM card or Google Drive WhatsApp backup.
I tried them...not working.
The change number feature only allows you to change the phone number associated with your WhatsApp account. Yet your local backup is not associated with the Phone Number or Sim Card. Therefore, it won't help you restore your backup data when you take a new SIM card to your iPhone and install WhatsApp.
Instead of wasting time on something that doesn’t help, you may want to skip trying the Phone Number/SIM card method and save yourself some energy.
I have also tried to use Google Drive to backup and transfer my WhatsApp chat history.
Unfortunately, this method did not work as well because the data saved on Google Drive is not compatible with iPhone. They are not using the same format while saving WhatsApp data.
Can I restore WhatsApp messages from google drive WhatsApp backup?
Yes. You can use a transfer tool like Mobitrix to restore your WhatsApp backups from Google Drive backups onto your iPhone. But if you are looking for ways to restore them directly, it’s not possible. This is because Google Drive and iCloud use different protocols and therefore are not compatible with each other’s database.
Is there an official way to transfer WhatsApp data between iOS and Android?
Even though WhatsApp has been making efforts to resolve complaints that it doesn’t support direct transfer of WhatsApp chat history between iOS and Android, it’s still a huge tech barrier to conquer, given its huge data volume from worldwide users including 487.5million in India, 118.5million in Brazil and 84.8million in the United States.
Instead of waiting for the WhatsApp Official to launch a chat transfer method, I recommend you to try some indirect transfer tools like Mobitrix to get all your WhatsApp files transferred between Android and iPhone.
This way, you can save time, and keep your precious WhatsApp history.
How should I backup and restore WhatsApp messages?
WhatsApp is an essential part of our lives. We keep in touch with friends, families and clients on WhatsApp. Losing such chat history in a phone switch can impact our work and life a lot.
If you are an Android user, normally backing up your WhatsApp data on Google Drive is enough.
However, in case you switch onto an iPhone in the future, hence risking losing all your WhatsApp data, I would suggest you backup your WhatsApp chat data onto your computer with Mobitrix beforehand. Later, you can use it to restore your WhatsApp messages from Android backup to your new iPhone.
If you are an iPhone user and haven’t paid for iCloud services, it’s best to just back up your chats onto your PC. Then you can restore your WhatsApp messages to any phone in the future.
As a major message app used across India, Europe and America, WhatsApp keeps us connected with our families, friends and clients.
If you are still searching for how to transfer WhatsApp data from android to iphone, those chat histories are definitely meaningful and special for you.
And yes, it would be so terrible to lose such treasury memories.
No matter which method you choose, you should do it now and do it today. Let's keep all the memories!