2021 Solved: How to Fix iPhone Screen Black but On
Being unable to use your iPhone as you should cause inconveniences especially if you were in the middle of something then your iPhone screen becomes lack yet it is still on.
In this article, we look at ways to fix your iPhone with ease.
Part 1: Why is My iPhone Screen Black but On?
Some of the reasons behind your iPhone being on yet its screen is black include :
- Hardware issues on the inside
- Software Issues
- An issue with an app
- Low battery
Part 2: How to Fix an iPhone Black Screen but On
This article aims at ensuring that you get a more focused and specific solution thus, the sections are divided based on the problem optimally. Methods 1 and 2 fix common issues causing the black screen.
If the black screen is showing yet other functions are working, we recommend you use Method 3 to 5 to recover the iPhone. In addition, using Methods 3 and 4 your data will be safeguarded while Method 5 will wipe out your data. The recommended method to use in fixing the iPhone black screen but on issue is to use Perfix (Check Perfix in Method 4).
Use the methods below to fix iPhone black screen but on :
1. Force restart iPhone while charging
The first step to fixing a black screen on iPhone is to charge the phone. Charge the iPhone and if the screen is still black, follow the steps below to restart it.
- iPhone 8 or later: Press then release the button for volume up, do the same for the Volume Down button. Then long-press the Side button until Apple’s logo appears.
- iPhone 7, iPod touch (7th generation), and iPhone 7 plus: long-press both the Volume down and Top (or Side) buttons until Apple’s logo appears.
The benefit of this method is that no data will be lost and it is the official Apple solution.
2. An issue with an app
A troublesome app can cause your screen to go black moreover if it’s loading something and the internet connection is weak that’s a possible cause of the problem.
To fix this, do the following.
- Close or exit the app.
- On the home screen, open the App Store and click on the Updates section. If there are any updates for the app, update it.
- Restart your iPhone.
No data is lost with this method. However, if it persists it’s advisable to contact the App’s developer or uninstall the app.
3. Update or restore iPhone from a Backup
This is an advanced method to restore iOS when faced with major software issues causing your iPhone screen to get stuck on the black screen. This method makes use of iTunes having connected your iPhone to a computer and accessing it.
Follow these steps.
- Connect your iPhone via a lighting cable to your computer then wait for iTunes to recognize it.
- Once iTunes recognizes your device, select the “Summary” tab and then click “Back Up Now” to create a backup of your iPhone.
- Having created the backup press, choose “Check for Update” will update your iOS version to the current one without data loss.
- If updating doesn’t work, click “Restore iPhone” to restore. This will erase all your data however once completed, restore your backup from iTunes.
The advantages of this method are that it fixes your black screen without your data being lost and using iTunes is the official recommended way.
Its disadvantages include:
- It’s only applicable to users that had connected to iTunes before.
- The process involved from backup to restore is time-consuming.
- iTunes may fail to recognize your iPhone.
- iTunes is user-unfriendly and not easy to find the button.
4. Use an Advanced Tool - Perfix
As recommended earlier, for a quick fix for your iPhone being on yet displaying a black screen, Mobitrix Perfix is the tool to use. It will fix your iPhone instantly without any data loss. So, if your iPhone keeps getting stuck on a black screen, you can try Perfix and it won't let you down.
Use the steps below.
- Download and launch Perfix on your computer.
- Connect, via a cable, your phone to the computer
- Once your device is recognized, download the required firmware package according to the system instructions
- Choose Start Standard Repair option
Using Perfix has many advantages:
- It doesn’t require you to download iTunes or Finder from computer
- Your device will be fixed without data loss
- It uses simple and quick recovery steps.
- It has support for all iOS devices and versions
- Perfix solves many iPhones problems
- Perfix is 100% Safe and ensure the privacy of your data.
5. Restore from recovery mode
Using iTunes, you can enter recovery mode in your iPhone and restore it to fix iPhone black screen. The steps are as below.
Step 1. Connect your iPhone with iTunes on computer
Step 2. Once connected, follow these steps:
- iPhone 8 or later: Press then release the button for volume up similarly, press then release the button for volume down. Then, long-press the side button until Apple’s logo appears.
- iPhone 7, iPod touch (7th generation), and iPhone 7 plus: long-press the volume down and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time until the recovery mode screen appears.
Step 3. Click Restore
Your iPhone will be restored, go ahead and set it up. Your iPhone black screen should have been fixed.
The disadvantages of this method are:
- Restoring your iPhone clears all data.
- iTunes may fail to recognize your iPhone.
- iTunes is user-unfriendly.
- The restoration process takes time.
6. Use DFU Mode
To use this method, first, connect your iPhone to your computer then enter DFU mode.
For iPhone 6S or earlier:
- Long press the button for sleep while pressing the home button for like 8 seconds after which you release the button for sleep and not the home button.
- Keep pressing the home button up to when your iPhone is recognized by the computer.
For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus:
- Long press the Side button while pressing the volume button for like 8 seconds after which you release the Side button and not the volume button.
- Keep pressing the volume button until your iPhone is recognized by the computer.
For iPhone 8 or newer:
- Press then release the button for volume up, do the same for the down volume button.
- Long-press the side button of the phone. Once you see a black screen, long-press the down volume button.
- Long press these buttons but release the Side button after 5 seconds while holding the volume down button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions that will display.
Once in DFU mode, click the “OK” option in iTunes then click to restore.
The disadvantages of this method include, it requires you to have an updated iTunes on your computer, it’s complicated and all your data will be lost.
The last option if none of the above worked
The iPhone black screen may result from a technical hardware issue thus, you should reach to Apple via their support website or visit an Apple Store around you for them to fix the iPhone for you.
To conclude, in the event your iPhone suffers from a black screen yet it’s on, don’t panic. This article covered the various ways you can use to fix this problem with ease. Even though many methods have been addressed using the simplest and the most effective method is always the best way to fix problems thus, use Perfix over the other methods.
If however none of the above solutions solve the problem, please seek official support from Apple promptly.