How to Transfer WhatsApp with Samsung Smart Switch
Recently, Samsung announced an exciting new option for some Android users - the option to transfer WhatsApp Chat history from an iPhone to a new Samsung phone through the ‘Samsung Smart Switch’ tool.
Read on for answers to popular questions about how to make the switch and what is required to complete the process. We will also provide step-by-step instructions to help you transfer WhatsApp to your new Samsung device.
If you are looking for alternatives to Samsung Switch, we’ve got some suggestions, too, including an option for transferring WhatsApp from Android to an iPhone.
- 1. Can Samsung Smart Switch Transfer WhatsApp?
- 2. Can I transfer from Samsung to iPhone with this tool?
- 3. How to Transfer WhatsApp using Samsung Smart Switch
- 4. Alternatives to Samsung Smart Switch
1. Can Samsung Smart Switch Transfer WhatsApp?
Yes, Samsung Smart Switch can transfer WhatsApp from an iPhone to a new Samsung phone. This tool was launched in early September, 2021 and supports migration of WhatsApp data from iPhones to Samsung’s Android devices.
However, users must be using new Samsung phones, or phones that have been reset to factory settings in order for the process to be successful.
2. Can I transfer from Samsung to iPhone with this tool?
Unfortunately, Samsung Smart Switch only has the capabilities to transfer WhatsApp one direction: from iPhone to Android. If you want to migrate data from an Android device, Samsung or other brand, to an iPhone, then you will need a third party tool such as Mobitrix. We will discuss Mobitrix’s unique features further below.
3. How to Transfer WhatsApp using Samsung Smart Switch
New Samsung Phone
- Samsung Smart Switch works with new devices, or devices that have been reset to factory settings.
- If your phone is not new, you must perform a back-up and then reset the phone to factory settings.
Android10 or higher
- Your new Samsung phone must be running on Android10, or higher in order to complete this switch. Sorry folks, you may have to complete an update in order to continue with this option. If you are using a very old device, reconsider if Samsung Smart Switch is right for you.
WhatsApp Android version 184.108.40.206 or higher
- Your device must be using the most recent version of WhatsApp in order to complete the transfer
Samsung Smart Switch App Installed on your device (version 220.127.116.11 or more recent)
- Likewise, your new Samsung phone must download the most recent version of the Samsung Smart Switch App in order to make the WhatsApp transfer.
A USB-C Lightning Cable
- One important item required to transfer WhatsApp with the Samsung Smart Switch App is a USB-C Lightning Cable. You will not be able to complete the transfer without this item.
If you need to purchase one, they are approximately $20.00 USD on Apple.com.
How to Complete the Transfer (step-by-step)
- Install Samsung Smart Switch App on your new (or reset) Samsung phone which runs on Android10 or higher.
- Ensure the most recent version of WhatsApp is being used on your Samsung phone.
- Start your Samsung phone and run the Samsung Smart Switch App.
- Turn on your iPhone.
- Using the USB-C Lightning cable, connect your old iPhone to your new Samsung phone when prompted by the app.
- Follow the directions given by the app, including to use your iPhone’s camera feature to scan a unique code shown on your Samsung phone.
- Your iPhone will show a message requesting the WhatsApp transfer, select “Start” to begin.
- Your Samsung device may prompt you to allow or ‘Continue’ transferring WhatsApp from your iPhone, select ‘continue’ or give permission, as needed.
- Open WhatsApp on your Samsung phone and use your previous phone number to activate the WhatsApp app.
- You will be prompted to complete the transfer by selecting ‘Import’.
- Now, finalize by activating your new Samsung phone and completing all the necessary start-up processes for your WhatsApp account. Your chat history and media files should have imported successfully and will be available on your Samsung device.
Note: Your WhatsApp chat data will still be on your old iPhone, as well. If you are selling or giving away your old iPhone you must manually delete this information for your privacy and protection.
- This is an official and free tool offered by Samsung.
- It works without a computer - you only need the new phone and your old iPhone.
- Users must use a USB-C to Lightning cable to complete the switch. Prices for these cables run an average of $15+. with the official Apple version starting at $19.99.
- There are options available to transfer WhatsApp data between devices that do not require this cable, and work right away - no need to wait!
- The Samsung Smart Switch app only supports WhatsApp transfers from iPhone to Samsung, not from Samsung back to iPhone.
- The app only works with Android10 and higher, so you must perform an update on your phone for the transfer to be successful.
- According to Samsung, the app only works with new Samsung devices, or devices set to factory settings. If your phone is not new, you must complete a backup and reset in order to make the transfer.
If you order online, you must also wait for the cable to arrive by shipping, which could take a long time.
If the number of cons are making you reconsider using Samsung Smart Switch, there are some alternative transfer options.
4. Alternatives to Samsung Smart Switch
1.Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer
Our first recommendation for an alternative to Samsung Smart Switch is with Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer. This is an easy-to-use tool that requires a regular USB cable (which probably already came with your phone) and a personal computer. It does not require technical know-how, and anyone with average computer knowledge can complete the transfer.
How to Transfer WhatsApp via Mobitrix
- Simply download Mobitrix’s tool to your personal computer.
- Connect your two phones to your computer with USB cords.
- Start Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer, and follow the prompts to complete the transfer between any two types of phones.
Note: While Samsung Smart Switch only works to transfer iPhone to Samsung, Mobitrix works with any operating systems, including Samsung (or other Android) to iPhone.
Advantages of Mobitrix:
- No need for a USB-C to Lightning cable. You can use the regular USB cables which came with your phones. You do not need to purchase any equipment for this option.
- Easy to use, very convenient. You can download the tool at any time and start the process right away! No waiting.
- Works with all types of data, allows transfer of media files, chats and attachments on your WhatsApp chats.
- Your data is completely protected, because you are in charge of the transfer and can even complete the migration off-line for your peace-of-mind.
- Mobitrix works with all types of Android and iOS devices: including Samsung, Huawei, LG, HTC and more. This is the best option for transferring Android to iOS.
One drawback is that users must install the app on their personal computer.
Another WhatsApp transfer tool is WhatsAppTrans Box. What we like about this option is that it is completely free, but it does have some limitations.
This tool only allows WhatsApp chat data to be transferred, not media files. But, you can avoid this inconvenience by performing a back-up of your photos and videos before completing the transfer, and then accessing them on iCloud or Google Drive, depending on which operating system you use.
Of course, if you are switching between Android and iOS, then you won’t be able to transfer the media files to your new phone (you should use Mobitrix for that). But, you won’t lose those important files completely, you can still access them online.
How to Transfer Whatsapp from Samsung to iPhone via WhatsAppTrans Box
Transferring WhatsApp with WhatsAppTrans Box is free, but it is certainly more complicated than our #1 recommendation (Mobitrix). Here’s a brief summary of what you need to do.
- First, backup your phone. In case you make any mistake in the process, you will still be able to restore your information.
- Download the WhatsAppTransBox Zip folder to access the required files to make the transfer.
- Extract the files from the kit, once it has downloaded onto your personal computer.
- Then, download an Android Emulator tool.
- Download Whatsapp to your Emulator tool (but do not open it yet!)
- Move your WhatsApp data to your computer’s Android emulator.
- Extract WhatsApp data from the emulator to your iPhone.
The exact steps for completing the free transfer with WhatsAppTrans Box can be found here.
How to Transfer WhatsApp from iPhone to Samsung via WhatsAppTrans Box
- First, backup your iPhone. In case you make any mistake in the process, you will still be able to restore your information.
- Download the WhatsAppTransBox Zip folder to access the required files to make the transfer.
- Extract your WhatsApp data files to the kit.
- Move the files to your Samsung device, from your PC using the downloaded software.
Detailed steps to complete the transfer between iPhone to Samsung can be found here.
Another option is transferring WhatsApp messages via email. This is not our favorite option, because it doesn’t allow you to acutally use your WhatsApp messages in chat form on your other device, instead it sends them as .txt (text files) which are not very useful.
Also, it sends each chat individually, which means you must do every WhatsApp chat one-by-one. Talk about tedious!
How to Transfer WhatsApp Chat via Email
The process is pretty simple, and requires that you open your WhatsApp chat (click on each contact) and scroll down to “Export”. From there, choose to export via email and decide if you want to send with or without media files.
Then, simply email to yourself and open on your other device.
Remember, the messages will not be able to be viewed with WhatsApp, because exporting them changes the format.
For a step-by-step guide to transferring WhatsApp messages via email, see this article.
- No need to install third party tools. You control the entire transfer.
- Totally free!
- Works without a computer.
- Transfer via email only sends WhatsApp messages by individual contact. You cannot perform a bulk transfer via email, sending one-by-one can be very time-consuming.
- Exporting chats through email changes the format. Chats will be available in .txt format only, which is not readable with the WhatsApp app.
Samsung Smart Switch is a new application offered for Samsung users to transfer WhatsApp data from iPhone to Samsung phones. However, it is only appropriate for new devices, otherwise you must update your phone to use Android10 and reset your phone to factory settings.
Also, transferring with Samsung Smart Switch only works with the use of a USB-C Lightning cable. Many users will have to purchase a new cable online and wait for it to arrive in the mail before performing the transfer.
Finally, Samsung Smart Switch only transfers from iPhone to Samsung, and will not work for Android to iPhone, leaving many users behind.
If you want to complete the transfer of WhatsApp messages, media files and attachments right now, the best solution is Mobitrix. For almost the same cost of purchasing a new USB-C Lightning cable you can get a one-year plan with Mobitrix and get the transfer done immediately! Mobitrix is safe and easy to use, so transfer WhatsApp data between any two phones today.