Split Screen view on an iPad is a mode where two apps appear side by side on the screen and can be used simultaneously. It allows you to multitask between two apps. You also get to resize the two applications as per your preference using the slider or the divider bar between them.
This feature can be found in many iPad models such as the 5th generation iPad and above, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2 and above, and iPad mini 4.
However, not everyone is aware of this feature in iPads. Sometimes you may accidentally slip into the split-screen view mode on the iPad, and don’t know how to exit, presuming your iPad is having a glitch.
This article offers you the most actionable guide to get out of the split-screen view mode in minutes. You can even disable the feature permanently so that you do not accidentally slip into the multitasking or the split-screen view mode again!
the iPad screen is split
How to Remove the Split Screen on an iPad?
If you have accidentally stepped into the split-screen view mode or if you’ve deliberately enabled this feature but don’t know how to get out of it, follow these steps below.
Exit the Split-Screen View
When the apps are divided, there is a slim black line/divider bar in between. Hold the divider bar and slide it to the left or right side of the screen. Then, only one app will prevail on the screen.
Exit the split screen view
Fully Disable the Split-Screen View
You can disable the split-screen view option altogether by following the steps below:
- On your iPad, visit the "Settings" app
- Go to the "Home Screen & Dock" option
- Further, select "Multitasking"
- Turn the "Allow Multiple Apps" options off
Disable the split screen view
How to Enable/Use the Split-Screen View Mode on an iPad?
If you wish to multitask and work on two apps simultaneously, enabling the split-screen view on your iPad is the best and most effective option. You can enable the split-screen view mode with the following simple steps:
- Open the app that you wish to use
- On the top of the screen, tap on the "Multitasking" option and choose "Split View". The current app will shrink to half the screen, revealing the home page on the second half.
- Choose another app that you wish to use in split view mode. Now, the screen is split equally between the two apps, and you can use them together on your iPad.
Enable the split screen view
How to Use and Disable the Split-Screen View Feature on iPad in Safari?
Not just apps, you can use this feature to view two web pages simultaneously on Safari in the landscape mode. Here’s how to use the split-screen view feature on Safari:
- Open the Safari app.
- Open the webpage you wish to view or work on.
- Add a second tab and open the next webpage. Now, long-press the web address to this web page.
- From the menu, select the "Open in New Window" option
- Now, simply drag this new window to any side of the screen, and you can use the split-screen view feature on Safari.
Enable the split screen view on iPad in Safari on ipad
Now that you know how to use this feature on Safari, let’s see how you can exit or disable the feature and use your iPad in the normal mode:
- On Safari, open the webpage that you want to remove from this mode
- From the top right corner, long-press the "tab" icon
- From the drop-down menu, choose the "Merge All Windows" option. You can now use your iPad in the normal mode.
Disable the split screen view on iPad
How to Stop Split Screen on iPad from Happening Accidentally
Sometimes you may accidentally get into the split-screen view mode when you don’t want to. Therefore, it’s necessary to avoid touching the three dots placed on the top of your app windows, as they will take you to split-screen view mode, unless you need to use the feature.
Now you know what the split screen is, and how to enter, remove and disable it. No need to worry if your iPhone is glitching or crashing. And multitask on your iPad anytime you want.