How to Transfer Your WhatsApp Chat History to a New Phone
The excitement of getting a new phone gets tricky once you realize you'll also need to transfer all your data.
It even gets trickier when the phones are from different companies or are run on different platforms.
Unfortunately, WhatsApp doesn't do a good job at making it easy to transfer chat records between different phones.
The good news? Today's article covers exhaustive, effective, and actionable ways you can transfer the chat history of your old phone to your new phone.
Let's get started.
- Part 1: How to Transfer Your WhatsApp Chats Between Different Mobile Phone Systems
- Part 2: How to Transfer Your WhatsApp Data from an Android to another Android Phone
- Part 3: How to Transfer Your WhatsApp Chats from an iPhone to another iPhone
- Extra Tip: How You Can Transfer Your WhatsApp Data Even If You Change Your Phone Number
Part 1: How to Transfer Your WhatsApp Chats Between Different Mobile Phone Systems
If your current phone is an iPhone, Samsung, Blackberry, etc. and your new phone is outside its phone's operating system, there are some questions you'd likely have.
1. Why Is It So Difficult to Transfer WhatsApp Chat History between Different Mobile Operating Systems?
Well, it’s all due to WhatsApp’s rules and regulations.
But don’t worry, we‘ve taken out time to break this down in our article on how to transfer your WhatsApp data from an iPhone to an Android.
2. Can You Use Email and Sim Backup to Export Your WhatsApp Chats between Different Mobile Operating Systems?
You’ve probably read some articles that encourage you to use your email or Sim Backup to export your WhatsApp chats when different operating systems are involved.
While these options sound easy, free, and efficient…we've verified over and over again that these options only waste your time and get you frustrated in the end.
Especially when you find out that they don’t work out as you’d expect.
So, What Is The Most Practical Solution For Transferring WhatsApp Data Between Different Mobile Systems?
The answer… a third-party transfer tool. However, we don’t mean just any third-party transfer tool.
What you deserve is a 100% safe, reliable, professional transfer tool that respects your privacy and transfers all of your data the same way they’ve always been.
That’s EXACTLY what you get with the Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer – a professional transfer tool that supports 99% of iPhones and Android phones.
It also makes it stress-less for you to transfer, backup, and restore your WhatsApp data.
How to Use Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer.
The following steps would guide you to experience this easy-to-use tool when transferring your WhatsApp chats between any phones of your choice:
- Install the Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer tool on your computer. Connect both mobile devices to the computer using USB cables.
- Now, you’ll get to see both devices on the next screen. Here, you’ll need to make sure that your old phone is the “Source” device and your new phone is the “Destination” device.
- Now all you’ve got to do is click “Transfer” and Mobitrix will begin to transfer all WhatsApp data from your old phone to the new phone instantly.
Why Should You Choose Mobitrix As Your WhatsApp Transfer Tool?
- Simple & User-Friendly: You deserve a tool that’s easy to use and even if you get stuck, we’ve created well-detailed video tutorials to get you unstuck.
- Zero Data Leaks: Your data is important and shouldn’t be at the risk of getting leaked out. That’s we created the Mobitrix tool to protect your data’s privacy and keep it 100% safe.
- No Limits on Space & Speed: Mobitrix’s transfer speed is faster than a cloud disk and when it comes to disk space issues – common with iCloud and Google Drive – you won’t need to worry.
- Get Everything Transferred: You’ll get to transfer all your chat records in whatever formats they are, from text, pictures, files, videos, emojis to attachments.
Part 2: How to Transfer Your WhatsApp Data from an Android to another Android Phone.
If you’re moving from an android to another android phone and also looking to export your data between these devices --without using a third-party tool -- then you can use Google drive.
Why Google Drive is A Popular Option for Transferring WhatsApp Chat History between Android Phones.
Google Drive is easily recommended as the official way for transferring your WhatsApp chat history between Android phones. Why?
Well, as long as you can save all your messages and media files to your personal Google Drive account, you’re good to go.
Plus, newer WhatsApp versions have made it quite easy for you to backup your data automatically to Google Drive at 2.am every morning.
Please Note: If your WhatsApp data size exceeds the free space Google Drive affords, then you might need to either pay for more space or let go of some data.
Plus, the bigger the size of your WhatsApp data, the longer the transfer/backup time as well.
How to Transfer Your WhatsApp Chats from Android to Android Using Google Drive.
First, ensure you’re using the same phone number for your new phone and that you’ve created a backup of your WhatsApp chats. Once that’s done, all you’ll need to do is to restore this backup to your new phone.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Open WhatsApp on your old Android phone and tap the three dots on the right-hand corner.
- Navigate to Settings > Chats > Chat backup to view the backup options. Select the backup frequency you want to backup manually. Or simply click on Back Up to back up all of your data to Google drive.
- Install WhatsApp on your new android phone and verify your phone number [same as the one you used for your previous phone].
- You’ll be prompted to restore the backup. Follow the prompts and that’s all, your chats will be made available on your new android device.
Note: If you’re finding it difficult to backup or restore your WhatsApp data via Google Drive, click here for the possible issues and solutions as listed by WhatsApp.
Part 3: How to Transfer Your WhatsApp Chats from an iPhone to another iPhone.
When you’re dealing with data transfer between two iPhones, iCloud is more likely to get recommended as an option for you.
Why iCloud is Often Recommended for Transferring WhatsApp Chat History from iPhone to iPhone.
It’s just the same way WhatsApp recommends Google Drive as its official backup/transfer option for android to android.
Just like it is for android to android, you just need to ensure that your messages and media files are backed up to your iCloud account.
However, while transferring via iCloud seems like the best way, there are a few things we’d like you to know.
First, iCloud has a limited storage space that could make it difficult for you to backup your WhatsApp data if space gets used up.
And when this happens, you’re either going to feel compelled to choose between paying for more space or deleting some precious data.
Plus, you stand the risk of overwriting the previous WhatsApp data when moving to your new phone.
Sounds like a lot of stress? That's where a fast, safe, and easy-to-use third-party transfer tool –Mobitrix – comes in.
You won't need to worry about space, spending more money, or losing any data.
With that said, here’s how.
How to Transfer Your WhatsApp Chats from iPhone to iPhone via iCloud.
Once you've agreed to swallow the consequences that come with going this route, here are the steps you should take:
- Enable the iCloud backup function on your old and new iPhones.
- Open WhatsApp on your old iPhone. Click Settings > Chats > Chat Backup and tap ‘Back Up Now’ to backup your messages to iCloud.
- Install and log in to WhatsApp on your new iPhone with your phone number.
- There will be an option to Restore Chat History, tap on it to restore the chat history backup to your new iPhone.
Note: If you’re finding it difficult to backup or restore your WhatsApp data via iCloud, click here for the possible issues and solutions as listed by WhatsApp .
Extra Tip: How You Can Transfer Your WhatsApp Data Even If You Change Your Phone Number.
If you're looking to change your phone number as you change phones, then you can still transfer your WhatsApp messages to the new phone.
Here’s how you can go about it:
- Remove the old SIM card from the old phone and replace it with the new SIM. Ensure both numbers are active.
- Open WhatsApp and tap on Settings > Account > Change Number. Read the instructions and tap “Next”.
- Enter the old phone number and the new phone number in the field provided and tap “Continue”.
- A verification code will be sent to the new phone number for you to enter in the field provided.
- After verifying your new phone number, simply back up WhatsApp to the local storage before moving it to your new phone.
- Once you’ve inserted the new SIM card into your new phone, all you'll need to do is to restore the backup.
Note: According to WhatsApp, all your account information on your old phone number gets deleted 45 days after its new owner activates WhatsApp.
In summary, we discussed how to transfer your WhatsApp messages between phones with the same and different mobile platforms.
We also included a quick tip on what to do if you’re also changing your phone number.
So, if your new phone runs on the same system as your old phone, the iCloud or Google Drive option comes easily recommended.
But when issues like cloud space, data override, or a difficult situation [where you’re switching between different platforms] arise, Mobitrix is ready to take you through.
The thing is…you deserve a tool that's fast, secure, and privacy-conscious.
So, let Mobitrix handle the hassles so you can keep your memories alive.