3 Fast Solutions to Access WhatsApp Backup
September 7, 2020. Filed to: WhatsApp
2 min read
Have you ever wondered where the WhatsApp backup goes when the backup is complete? Most of us don’t give much thought to the WhatsApp backup files and where they are soon after creating the backup. But it is important to realize that WhatsApp backup files, just like any other file can be accessed.
In this article, we take a look at how to find the WhatsApp backup file on Google Drive, iCloud or the device’s internal storage.
- Part 1: How to Access WhatsApp Backup in Google Drive
- Part 2: How to Access WhatsApp Backup in iCloud
- Part 3: How to Access WhatsApp from Local Backup
- Part 4: Tip: Backup WhatsApp with a More Flexible Service
Part 1: How to Access WhatsApp Backup in Google Drive
Android device users can very easily backup all WhatsApp data in the Google Drive by setting up an automatic backup frequency. But because this backup is encrypted, it is impossible to gain access to the backup files.
The only way to see the chats in the backup file is to restore the backup file back on to the device. Here’s how to do it;
Step 1: Make sure that you are using the same Google account you used to create the backup as well as the same phone number.
Step 2: Uninstall WhatsApp from the device and then reinstall it from the Google Play Store.
Step 3: Now, follow the instructions to set up WhatsApp and verify the phone number. WhatsApp will detect the backup and ask if you would like to restore it to the device. Tap “Restore”.
Step 4: When the process is complete, simply tap “Next” to view all the WhatsApp chats on the device. WhatsApp will then begin restoring the media in the backup file.
Part 2: How to Access WhatsApp Backup in iCloud
In much the same way iOS device users can set up an automatic backup frequency that will back up WhatsApp to iCloud. But just as it is with Google Drive, it is very difficult to view this backup because it is encrypted. If you would like to view the iCloud backup, you will have to restore the backup to the device.
There is however some third party tools that can help you extract data from an iCloud backup to your computer. You can therefore use this tool to extract the WhatsApp data from the iCloud backup and view the chats in the backup.
Part 3: How to Access WhatsApp from Local Backup
WhatsApp creates a backup of all the data on your account at 2.00 AM every day. Unless otherwise specified, this backup is often stored in the device’s internal storage. Unlike backups to Google Drive, this internal backup is easily accessible.
Follow these simple steps to access the WhatsApp backup from the device’s internal storage;
Step 1: You will need to use a third-party file manager to access the backup. To begin, download the “File Manager” app from the Google Play Store.
Step 2: Open the app and the go to the path “sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases”. If you don’t have an SD card on the device, then the path will be “internal storage” or “main storage” rather than “sdcard”.
Step 3: Rename the backup from “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12” to “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12”.
Step 4: To restore this backup to your device, simply uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp on to the device. When prompted, tap “Restore” and the backup will be restored to the device.
Part 4: Tip: Backup WhatsApp with a More Flexible Service
The one thing all the backup methods we’ve talked about above have is that they are often very hard to access the contents of the backup file. If you would like to have more control over the backup process and be able to view the contents of the backup, then we recommend using Mobitrix WhatsApp Transfer to backup WhatsApp data to your computer.
- This tool allows you to very easily backup all the data in your WhatsApp account on both Android and iPhone.
- The backup is easily stored on your computer and you can use Mobitrix to restore the backup back on to the device without overwriting the old backup.
- It comes in handy when you want to bypass the limitations that can arise from backing up WhatsApp to Google Drive and iCloud. With this tool, you don’t have to uninstall the app when you want to restore the backup or worry about the many problems you would have to deal with if your SD card is damaged.
1 click to transfer WhatsApp: It can be used to transfer WhatsApp between Android and iPhone devices easily and quickly.
- • All chats & attachments can be transferred: All WhatsApp chat history and the attachments can be transferred, including texts, images, videos, emojs, files, etc.
- • Backup WhatsApp for FREE: You can also use it to Backup WhatsApp on both Android and iPhone to the computer. And there is no storage limitation to backup WhatsApp messages.
- • Your privacy is protected: Any of your WhatsApp data or other information will be kept on your own computer and will not be released.