My iPad won’t turn on, here’s how to fix it
Many users have problems with their iPads such as the iPad failing to turn on, this is annoying and stressful. Here are the ways you can fix this.
- Part 1: Why won’t my iPad turn on?
- Part 2: How to fix my iPad not turning on
- Part 3: What if my iPad still won’t turn on?
Part 1: Why won’t my iPad turn on?
Your iPad not turning on could be caused by one of the following:
- Faulty Charger: if you use a charger different from the original one for your iPad.
- Physical Damage: if your iPad drops and damages like the screen or motherboard.
- Liquid Damage: if your iPad falls into water, this will damage it.
- Software issues: failed software updates or a case of jailbroken will make your iPad not turn on.
Part 2: How to fix my iPad not turning on
In the above section, we looked at possible causes of your iPad not turning on, now let’s fix it. In Methods 1 to 2 below, we solve the problem if it’s a case of a damaged iPad. For more troubleshooting of the problem, use Method 3 to 5.
1. Force restart the iPad
To force restart the iPad, the steps are:
1) Ensure the iPad is charged or connect it to the charger.
2) Depending on your iPad model follow the steps below.
If your iPad has no Home button: Press then quickly release the button for volume up, repeat the same for the button for volume down. Then, long press the power button until your iPad reboots.
If your iPad has a Home button: Long-press both the Top (or Side) and the Home button until Apple’s logo appears.
Once it restarts, your iPad is now fixed.
2. Check the iPad’s Charger and Charging cable
At times, using a faulty charger to charge your iPad will make it not to turn on moreover, the cable itself could be faulty. Try using a different cable or charger to check if that’s the cause.
Try to connect the iPad using the cable to your computer, try different USB cables to see if it turns on. If your cable or charger is faulty, just replace it as cables often tear and wear.
In a scenario that the iPad displays a message of an unsupported accessory, the cable is uncertified and this may damage your iPad. Replace it.
3. Use Perfix
It is recommended to use Mobitrix Perfix instead of restoring the device in iTunes or performing a DFU recovery. Perfix is an iOS system repair tool that can fix iOS stuck issues instantly with no data loss incurred.
To use Perfix, download it from the official website the do the following:
- Launch Perfix on your computer and select "Standard Mode"
- Connect your iPad to your computer, wait for Perfix to recognize your iPad.
- Download the needed firmware to fix your device.
- Click "Repair Now" to initiate the repair process.
The advantages of this method are that:
- It doesn’t require you to download iTunes or Finder.
- No data loss is incurred.
- Simple steps are involved
- Perfix supports all iOS devices and versions.
4. Use recovery mode via iTunes
If still tuck at the black screen, try entering recovery mode to fix it.
- Using the original lightning cable, connect your iPad to the computer.
- If your iPad has a Home button, long-press at the same time both the Sleep and Home button. For other iPad models, quickly press then release the button for volume down. Then, long-press the side button.
- If your iPad has a Home button, long-press the Sleep button or the Side button for other iPad models until you enter recovery mode. If Apple’s logo appears, keep holding the Sleep or Side button until you enter recovery mode.
- You will be prompted to recover or update, choose recover.
iTunes will then fix the iPad for you.
With this method, all your data might be lost if you had no backup, however, if you had made a prior backup, you can easily restore it via iTunes, Finder, or iCloud.
5. Use DFU mode to restore your iPad
DFU is an advanced and more technical solution for fixing your iPad not turning on and other fatal system errors. This wipes all your iPad data and fixes the black screen.
For an iPad with a Home button:
- Connect via USB cable, the iPad to your computer.
- Once connected, on your computer open iTunes.
- Long-press at the same time both the Sleep and the Home button
- Release after 8 seconds, the Sleep button but keep pressing the Home button until iPad appears on iTunes.
Once it appears, follow the prompts on the screen.
For other iPad models:
- Via a USB cable, connect your iPad to your computer then open iTunes.
- Press then quickly release the button for volume up, do the same for the button for volume down.
- Long-press the Side or Power button until your iPad’s screen turns black. Then, long-press the Power button while holding the button for volume down.
- After 5 seconds, release the power button but hold the button for volume down. Until the iPad displays on iTunes.
- Once the iPad displays on iTunes, follow the prompts on the screen to restore the iPad.
This method is undesirable as it is complicated, causes data loss, and is not compatible with some devices.
Part 3: What if my iPad still won’t turn on?
Well, if your iPad is still stuck, then you need professional help. So, visit an Apple Store or contact Apple support for their official help.
In summary, at times we face problems with our iPad. Whatever the problem, we need to fix it to avoid any inconveniences. Using Mobitrix Perfix is the recommended way in fixing the iPad not turning on. Moreover, you should still seek Apple's official help if still stuck.