How to Fix an iPhone With a Frozen Screen
Have you ever faced a situation when your iPhone screen freezes suddenly? Well, that happened to me recently! Just a couple of days ago, I had to urgently call someone and lo-and-behold, my screen got stuck. It can be extremely annoying, especially when it happens at the worst imaginable times.
At first, I was totally clueless about what to do. But then I buckled myself and took to the internet. Besides finding a solution for myself, I did all this research just so other people like me don’t have to spend hours toiling on the web trying to find a solution to their frozen screen.
So, here are all the ways that I found to fix a frozen iPhone screen!
Part 1: How to Fix Your iPhone’s Frozen Screen
1. Charge Your iPhone
The simplest thing to do when your iPhone freezes is to charge it. Yes, you read it right! It is that simple.
Charging your iPhone for around an hour can make it responsive again. Just make sure to directly use a power adapter. Don’t try this with wireless charging or a computer’s USB port.
If you still don’t see a charging screen on your device after an hour, reconnect your charger, check its connection and wires, or try a different charger. If still nothing happens, don’t worry, there are other solutions mentioned below.
2. Force Quitting an App on an iPhone
If you suspect that the frozen screen on your phone is because of a single app error, force quitting the app might help you.
Just press and hold the on/off button on your device until the red slider appears, then press the home button and hold it until the erroneous app quits. Viola, problem solved!
3. Restart Your Device
One of the easiest and safest solutions to a frozen screen is simply restarting your device. You can solve most of the problems through a restart with no data loss. There are two ways to restart your iPhone:
a. Simple Restart
- Press and hold the power button on the top-right edge of your device and one of the volume buttons until you see a slider appear on your screen.
- Now slide this power slider to the right and wait a few seconds for the device to shut down.
- Press and hold the power button again until the Apple logo appears and your device restarts.
If this doesn’t work, try the methods below.
If the buttons on your iPhone are not responding and the screen is frozen or black, try one of the following ways.
- For iPhones 8 or later, press and quickly let go of the volume up button. Then do the same with the volume down button. Finally, press and hold the power button on the side until the Apple logo appears.
- For iPhone 7 and 7 plus, simultaneously press and hold the power buttons and volume down button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
- For iPhone 6s or earlier, simultaneously press and hold the home and the power button until you see the Apple logo.
These steps should force-restart the device, and your iPhone should be back to normal.
4. Update Your Device
If you didn’t have any luck with any of the methods above, then it is possible that you need to update your iPhone. But don’t worry, this will not cause any data loss.
If your device gets stuck while starting up, you can try these steps:
Step 1 - Connect your device to a computer. On Mac with macOS Catalina, open Finder but for a Mac with macOS version below Mojave 10.14 or a PC, open iTunes.
Step 2 - Find your device on the computer.
Step 3 - When you find your iPhone on the computer, follow the steps mentioned below in accordance with your iPhone model until you see the recovery-mode screen.
- For iPhones 8 or later, press and quickly let go of the volume up button. Then do the same with the volume down button. Finally, press and hold the power button on the side until you see the recovery screen.
- For iPhone 7 and 7 plus, simultaneously press and hold the power buttons and volume down button until you see the recovery screen.
- For iPhone 6s or earlier, simultaneously press and hold the home and the power button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
Step 4 - Two options should show up on your computer: Update and Restore. Choose update. By doing so, your phone will try to update without erasing your data.
Step 5 - If over 15 minutes pass and the update isn’t complete, the device will exit recovery mode. In this situation, repeat the second and third steps.
You should be able to update your iPhone with these simple steps.
If these steps feel hard to follow, the next solution – using Perfix tool - is very easy. In fact, it was this tool that helped me solve my problem. Just try it, and you’ll be able to easily update your phone. Keep reading to know how.
5. Use Perfix to Fix Your Phone in a Few Clicks
If you don’t want to go through all the trouble of following the lengthy steps mentioned in the previous methods, you can simply try Mobitrix Perfix.
Perfix is an iOS repair and recovery tool that can help solve your problems in just a few clicks. It is a secure and efficient tool that can make your life a lot easier, just like it made mine!
Benefits of Using Perfix
Here are some benefits of this tool over all other methods.
- It is even easier to use than iTunes.
- Perfix works well on all iOS devices.
- You don’t have to worry about data loss.
- You can fix the problem even when the phone is not operational.
- You can fix a lot of problems with this tool, such as frozen, low volume, or black screen.
How to Fix Your iPhone’s Frozen Screen with Perfix
You can use the following steps to fix your iPhone’s frozen screen with Perfix:
Step 1 - Download Perfix on your computer and launch it.
Step 2 - Connect your iPhone to your computer.
Step 3 - Click the “Standard Repair” option on the screen.
Follow the instructions and your phone will return to normal. That’s it! You just need to do a few clicks here and there, and Perfix will ‘fix’ your phone!
6. Restore your iPhone
If none of the above methods solve your problem (though that might not be the case when you use Perfix, still, I want to be on the safe side), you might need to restore your iPhone.
Restoring your iPhone is the last resort because it deletes your data. This includes everything from songs and photos to apps and so on.
If you plan to restore your iPhone, make sure you’ve backed up your data. Here are the steps you should follow to restore your iPhone:
Step 1 – Put your iPhone to recovery mode as I stated earlier in method 4.
Step 2 - Two options should show up on your computer: Update and Restore. Choose restore.
Step 3 - After restoring your iPhone, you can either start it up as a new iPhone or restore the data that you backed up.
Part 2: How to Prevent Frozen Screen on an iPhone
The best treatment plan for your frozen iPhone screen is prevention!
I cannot emphasize it enough! You can save yourself a lot of trouble if you prevent your iPhone from freezing in the first place.
There can be many reasons for the frozen screen of an iPhone. And more than often, these are the same reasons that cause a computer to freeze. After all, a phone is just a compact computer at the basic level. So just take these preventions, and you’ll never face the problems that I faced.
An iPhone may freeze because of any of these four reasons.
- Low Available Storage Space: If your phone has only 10 to 15 percent of storage space left, backup your photos and videos to the cloud and remove any unnecessary apps. This can prevent your phone from going into a frozen state.
- Uninstalled Updates: Regularly check for iOS updates for your iPhone. Try to keep your software up-to-date.
- Infrequent Phone Reboots: If you use your phone a lot and it’s always on, try turning off the poor thing from time to time. Just restart it and continue your business as usual.
- Misbehaving Apps: Whenever you are about to install a new app on your iPhone, make sure that it is safe and free of bugs. You can check these details by reading the reviews and rating on the AppStore.
These steps are as simple as they look. If you follow them, there is a very good chance that you will not need to go through any fixing tutorials for a long time.
So, follow these precautions and take care of your phone the way it deserves to be taken care of!
To Sum Up
A frozen screen on an iPhone can have multiple reasons behind it. And without help, it can make you feel helpless. Fortunately for you, though, there is a solution (in fact, many solutions) to this problem. I listed all of them. You can try anyone that best fits your situation.
But if you are a lazy person like me who and doesn’t want to go through several complicated steps to fix your phone, just try Perfix. I can’t praise this tool enough! It will help you solve your problem in just a few clicks. So just make your life easy and leave all the weightlifting to Perfix!