An Apple ID is a great patron for using your iPhone or iPad. But when you forget the Apple ID password or even some critical account information, you need to know how to reset it to avoid the account being locked.
This blog shares steps to reset Apple ID passwords with no expertise required. I've also gathered a few alternatives if you're having trouble resetting your password. Keep reading！
Method 1: Reset Your Apple ID Password via Settings
In this section, I break down how to use the two-factor authentication option to reset Apple ID password.
The first method I lay out allows you to reset your Apple ID password through the Settings App on your iPhone or iPad. Follow these steps to complete this process;
- Launch the Settings App. Log in to your account.
- Click on "Don't have an Apple ID or forgot it?"
- Select "Forgot password?"
- Enter your Apple ID email address and click Next.
- A verification code will be sent to a trusted phone number or sent to a trusted device.
- Fill in the verification code and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Enter the new Apple ID password and confirm it.
Click "Don't have an Apple ID or forgot Apple ID?"
- To use two-step verification, you will need a trusted device, a trusted phone number, or a recovery key. If you cannot access any of them, you may be taken to "Account Recovery" (more on that later)
- The credentials you are asked to provide may vary, determined by previous security settings, whether that locked Apple ID is logged into another device, etc.
Why Do I Recommend Mobitrix LockAway?
- Have you forgotten your Apple ID password and found it hard to reset? Mobitrix LockAway can remove your forgotten Apple ID password!
- No security verification, no technical skills needed. Log in with a new Apple ID now!
Method 2: Reset Your Apple ID password Via App Support App
The Apple Support app is an exclusive software created to provide online technical assistance and services from Apple, such as personalized Apple ID account management, device malfunctions, and subscriptions. You can do a quick reset by following these steps:
- On the other device, run the Apple support app.
- Select "Another Apple ID." Continue tapping
- Enter the Apple ID that needs to be reset.
- Enter a trusted phone number (no area code is necessary) > tap Next in the upper right corner.
- The phone number will receive a verification code, which must be entered.
- As directed by the screen, enter the device's screen lock passcode.
- To verify, type the new Apple ID password and then repeat.
Using Apple Support App to Reset Apple ID Password
Method 3: Reset Your Apple ID Password on the Web Via iforgot Service:
Another Apple ID password reset option that uses two-factor authentication is the iforgot service accessible via a web browser. Follow these steps to unlock your device;
- Open https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid
- Enter your Apple ID
- Input the phone number associated with the Apple ID
- Your trusted device will notify you to; click "Allow."
- Enter the screen passcode for the trusted device
- Key in the new Apple ID password and re-enter it to verify
Enter Your Apple ID
That's everything you need to know about using 2FA to reset your Apple ID password.
If you lose critical information, such as access to a trusted device or the recovery key, you'll need additional tools to help you get back into the device or account. Here are some of the options I've found.
Method 4: Erase Apple ID Password with Mobitrix LockAway
If you need to access your device as soon as possible, consider signing in with a new Apple ID with Mobitrix LockAway.
Mobitrix Lockaway is software designed specifically for Apple users to reset Apple ID passwords without requiring any security information quickly. If you need to use an iPhone or iPad urgently and can't reset your Apple ID password, Mobitrix Lockaway will help you sign in to your device with a new account in just four steps.
- Download and Install Mobitrix LockAway to your computer
- Connect iPhone/iPad to Computer, choose “Unlock Apple ID”.
- Click Start to begin removing the Apple ID
- The Apple ID password will be removed along with the Apple ID, and you can use a new one.
Unlock Apple ID
Mobitrix-LockAway: Click Start
- LockAway can remove your Apple ID from your device in less than 20 minutes.
- LockAway requires no expertise; simply follow the on-screen instructions and click.
- The success rate of erasing your Apple ID is up to 99%.
- It offers full support for iPhone 5s-14 and iOS 12/13/14/15/16 and later.
- You’ve bought a used iPhone, but the previous owner didn't sign out of his Apple ID.
- If you have an iPhone that has been unused for a long time and you forgot its Apple ID account information.
- The Apple ID has been locked for security reasons.
- To reset the Apple ID password, you forgot the credentials (phone number, answers to security questions, recovery key, etc.) and can’t reset the Apple ID password.
Mobitrix Lockaway is the most convenient way to reset your Apple ID password. However, using account recovery is another option, although a complicated one. I will simplify it for you in the following section.
Mobitrix Lockaway enables you to use a new Apple ID to log in. It does not affect the original Apple ID. If you find the Apple ID password for your original Apple ID, you can still use it. There is also a last-ditch option to reset your Apple ID password if you don't need it immediately.
Method 5: Request Account Recovery to Reset The Apple ID Password
Account recovery is a last resort option for most users. I advise you only use this method if you have the patience to wait a day or several days for an update.
Suppose you don't have enough information to reset your Apple ID password. In that case, you can use Apple ID recovery to access your account. I recommend using this method only if you have the patience to wait a day or more for an update.
- Open the Settings app, tap your name, scroll to the bottom, and select Sign out.
- You will be prompted to enter your Apple ID password to close Find My. Tap "Forgot password?"
- You will be asked for your screen passcode.
- Select "forgot the passcode?"
- Enter your phone number and press the Next button.
- A verification code will be sent to the phone number; enter the code.
- You will be prompted to enter your screen passcode at this point.
- Start Account Recovery and follow the on-screen instructions.
Click sign out
- It may take 24 hours or more to receive the update for the account recovery.
- You can check the waiting time by visiting: https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid and entering your Apple ID.
- Suppose you recall your password during the account recovery application process. In that case, you can cancel the request by going to https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid and entering your account and password to log in.
Method 1 to Method 5 of this blog have majored in resetting your Apple ID password using two-factor authentication without a trusted device or phone number.
But if you know the current Apple ID password, it's much easier to change it.
Change Your Apple ID Password Using Settings App
- Click on your name in Settings.
- Click Password and Security (here you can see if 2FA is enabled)
- Click on Change Password.
- Type in the code on the screen
- Enter a new password twice to confirm it
Click Change Password
Change your Apple ID Password on the Web:
- Navigate to https://appleid.apple.com/ and then click “sign in.”
- Fill in your Apple ID and password.
- The trusted device will receive a pop-up alert.
- When you press the accept button on the phone, you will be given a 6-digit verification number.
- Fill in the code on the web page
- On the Apple ID account page, click Sign-In and Security.
- Choose a password
- Input your current Apple ID password.
- Type the new Apple ID password, and then enter it again.
To make Apple ID password reset simpler in the feature, I recommend updating your device to iOS 15 and setting up an account recovery contact.
Preventive Measures for Resetting Apple ID Passwords in the Future
An account recovery contact refers to a select contact (up to five) who you can set up to help you reset your Apple ID password in the future if you don’t have a trusted device or phone number. This contact receives a code that they send to you to reset your Apple ID password.
To set up account recovery contact, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings App and tap your name.
- Proceed to Password & Security, then select Account Recovery
- Click to add Recovery Contact and authenticate with Face or Touch ID.
- Family members in any shared groups will come up as the first suggestions.
- Family is added directly, while other contacts will need to approve your request.
Settings-Add recovery account
Steps to use Account Recovery Contacts
On the Contact’s iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 15 or iPadOS 15 or later:
- Open the Settings app and tap on their name.
- Tap on the Password and Security > Account Recovery.
- Tap on the name that needs the Recovery Code.
- Tap “Get Recovery Code.” When you are ready, ask your contact to share the code with you.
Using Recovery Contact on iPhone or iPad
It can be frustrating when you forget your Apple ID password. Fortunately, there are a few easy steps that you can take to reset your Apple ID password.
I've gone through everything you might come across and how to tackle it. If you don't have any security credentials, removing the old Apple ID with Mobitrix LockAway is also a viable option. Give it a go!