- Putting your iPhone into recovery mode and using the “Restore” function of iTunes can unlock iPhone if you forgot the passcode.
- Your iPhone can also be unlocked using the “Erase” function of Find My iPhone.
- You must have a backup of your iPhone to get your data back after unlocking it.
Did you enter your passcode wrong multiple times, and now it says "iPhone is disabled, try again in X minutes" or "iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes"? iTunes can save you in this worrisome situation. In this guide, I have listed a step-by-step guide on how to unlock your iPhone with iTunes even if you are not a tech-savvy person. Moreover, I also add three other methods and one bonus method without iTunes to help you unlock your iPhone. Let's jump right into the guide.
Facts to be cleared before unlocking iPhone with iTunes
Before you try out methods in this guide, here is something you should know.
If you forgot your screen passcode and your iPhone is locked/disabled, iTunes cannot automatically identify your iPhone in iOS 15.4.1 and later. So using iTunes to unlock your iPhone, you must first put the iPhone into recovery mode so that iTunes can recognize it. And then you can unlock your iPhone by the Restore function of iTunes.
For obvious security reasons, you can’t remove the forgotten iPhone passcode without losing data. If your data is backed up before your iPhone is disabled, then, fortunately, you can get it back. But if it is not backed up, then you will lose your data permanently.
How to unlock iPhone with iTunes?
Apple launched iTunes in 2001 with the purpose of playing media files and management of audio and video files. Some new features were added in 2011 that allow iOS users to back up and sync data across multiple devices. It also came with a “Restore” option to unlock your iPhone if you forget your passcode.
But iTunes isn't a professional unlocking tool. Apple updates iTunes rarely, and the most recent update was December 7, 2020, so it has many technical bugs. According to my own experiment, the whole unlocking procedure takes 2 hours and encounters many different error messages, such as error 3004, error 3194, error 1100, error 4000 and error 4013.
If you still want to give it a try yourself, then here is the step-by-step procedure:
- A PC or Mac
- On a PC: Windows 8 or later, and the latest version of iTunes must be installed.
- On a Mac:
- macOS Catalina or newer, open a Finder window.
- macOS Mojave or older, install and launch the latest version of iTunes.
- Turn off your iPhone
- Remove your iPhone from the computer if it is connected.
- Make sure to turn it off according to the model of your iPhone:
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation): Press and hold both the side button and the Volume down button until the power off slider appears.
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6: Press and hold the side button until the power off slider appears.
- iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 5s, and earlier: Press and hold the top button until the power off slider appears.
- Press and hold the buttons while immediately connecting your iPhone to the computer:
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation): side button.
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus: Volume down button
- iPhone SE (1st generation), iPhone 6s, and earlier: Home button.
- Open iTunes. It will show "There is a problem with the iPhone “iPhone” that requires it to be updated or restored". There are 2 options Update or Restore, Click Restore.
- Click Restore and update.
- “iPhone software update” window will pop up， click Next and then click “Agree” on the terms.
- When the “ iPhone software update” is downloaded, iTunes will pop up “iTunes will erase and restore your iPhone to ios 15.4.1 and will verify the restore with Apple. ” Then click Restore.
- The above-middle bar displays "Extracting software...," as shown below. It indicates that iOS 15.4.1 iTunes is preparing to restore the software on this iphone.
- Your iPhone screen will display the restoration progress with a white Apple logo and a bar. When the restoration is finished, your iPhone will restart automatically. And iTunes will show as follows:
- Reset your iPhone now and set a new passcode that you will not forget.
The iphone that requires it to be updated or restored
All of your media and other data will be erased
Preparing to restore the software on this iphone
iPhone software update
click this icon to check the download process
How to unlock iPhone without iTunes?
No doubt, Apple iTunes is an official way to restore and unlock your iPhone, but the errors and bugs do not make it a very good choice. What is the best way to unlock your iPhone, if not iTunes? A professional and efficient unlocking tool comes in handy in such a situation. Keep reading to find out four more useful ways to unlock your iPhone without iTunes.
Method 1: How to unlock iPhone via Mobitrix LockAway (No Technical Background Required)
Mobitrix LockAway is a dedicated unlocking tool developed for iOS users to unlock their iPhones easily and fastly in case they forget the passcode. With just a few simple steps and 20 mins, you can regain access to your iPhone even if you don’t have any technical knowledge. In addition, Mobitrix LockAway is backed by a 100% money-back guarantee.
It can remove a 4/6-digit passcode, Touch ID, Face ID, and Alphanumeric passcode. Mobitrix LockAway can help if :
- You don’t remember your iPhone screen passcode
- "iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes" because of 10 incorrect attempts
- You bought a second-hand iPhone
- Your Face/Touch ID is not functional
- Your iPhone screen is cracked
- Download Download and Install Mobitrix LockAway
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Click “Unlock Screen Passcode” in the main menu
- Click “Start” to remove iPhone Passcode.
- Unlock is complete.
Unlock screen passcode home
Unlock screen passcode product
Unlock screen passcode unlock is complete
- It does not demand iTunes installation.
- It comes with easy-to-follow steps, friendly for non-technical persons
- It is fast and only takes 20 mins to unlock
- It offers a high success rate of 99%.
- It is compatible with iPhone 5s to iPhone 14 and iOS 12/13/14/15/16 and later.
- It does not violate any security concerns and secures 100% privacy protection.
Method 2: How to unlock iPhone via Erase iPhone Option on-screen (No Computer Required)
Apple released an "Erase iPhone" option on iOS/iPadOS 15.2 and later that bypasses your locked iPhone without a computer. Basically, it unlocks your iPhone by removing all the settings and data on your iPhone, including the passcode, so you can set it up as a new device.
"Erase iPhone" option comes with the following requirements:
- Your Locked iPhone must run on iOS 15.2 or later.
- You’ve already logged in with your Apple ID.
- You must know your Apple ID and password.
- Your locked iPhone must be connected to a secure Wi-Fi or cellular network.
- Enter the wrong passcode 7 times to get to the “Erase iPhone” option in the "Security Lockout try again in 15 minutes" screen.
- Tap on the "Erase iPhone" option at the bottom right of the screen.
- Confirm it again. And enter your Apple ID and password to proceed on the "Sign out of Apple ID" interface.
- Your iPhone will show erasing progress with the Apple logo and a bar.
- Wait for the progress to finish, and your iPhone will restart automatically.
- Set it up as a new device with a passcode you will remember.
Security Lockout try again in 15 minutes
Security lockout click erase iphone
Sign out of apple id interface
Showing the progress of the erase
To provide you with the best experience, I tested this method several times and found that the 'Erase iPhone' button could stop working sometimes. It is visible but it stays unclickable. If this is the case with you too, then enter the incorrect passcode one more time to get to the 'Security Lockout' interface again. Now you can tap it successfully. But if you cannot find the "Erase iPhone" option or it is still unclickable, then look for the other methods in this guide.
The "Erase iPhone" option was released by Apple for limited iOS versions and iPhone models only. Apple has not officially revealed why this feature is not available on all models. There is a chance that you might not find this option.
Method 3: How to unlock iPhone via Find My iPhone (iCloud.com)
Find My is a one-stop app for anything location-related. It is great for locating your lost and stolen device in a pinch. The app also comes with an 'Erase' feature that erases all your data including your forgotten passcode giving you access to reset your iPhone. A computer browser or any other phone browser will work in this situation.
- You must have enabled "Find My" on your locked iPhone.
- You must be signed in to your iCloud account before being locked out.
- Your locked iPhone must have a secure internet connection via Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
- You must remember your Apple ID and password.
- Launch iCloud.com on a web or phone browser
- Enter your Apple ID and password
- Choose "Find My" and enter your Apple ID password again to sign in
- Tap All Device and select your device
- Click on "Erase iPhone." Confirm your choice by clicking again.
- Enter your Apple ID password again to continue
- A message with a verification code will be sent to your trusted device. Please enter it to continue.
- Enter your phone number and click next, then done.
- The iCloud will show "Erase started" and erasing progress will be displayed on your iPhone along with a white Apple logo.
- Wait for your iPhone to be erased completely. It will automatically restart when done. Go to your iPhone's interface, swipe up and reset it.
- iPhone will prompt "iPhone locked to owner", enter your Apple ID and password. Click Next and then you can reset a new passcode.
Enter your apple id and password
Click Find iPhone
Enter your Apple ID password
Click all device and choose your device
Click erase iphone
Enter the password to continue
Two factor authentication
Enter your phone number
Bonus: How to unlock an iPhone without losing any data?
Mobitrix launched a free unlocking tool known as iPhonePass that lets iPhone 5 to iPhone X users unlock their iPhone without losing any data. Since the iPhone5s-iphoneX has a CPU chip vulnerability, so it is easier to get the authority to remove the passcode via Jailbreaking.
A Mac (any version is compatible)
- Open Checkra1n and click 'Start' to Jailbreak your iPhone.
- Do not disconnect your iPhone until the installation of jailbreak program is finished.
- Make sure not to operate and set up your iPhone for the time being after Jailbreaking.
- Now connect your iPhone to your MacBook. Let your iPhone and MAC establish a network link.
- Launch the "Terminal" option and enter the command "sudo iproxy 22 44"
- Remove the screen password. Double-click to delete the script "deliphonepass.sh".
- Your iPhone passcode will be removed, and no data will be deleted. Set a new passcode from the settings.
Enter “iproxy 22 44”
Delete “deliphonepass.sh” file
I recommend you disable the jailbreak state on your iPhone as it is not safe. But it can be easily solved by the Standard Repair of Mobitrix Perfix without affecting your data.
The jailbreaking method is pretty technical and comes with safety issues. If you are not good at technical things and have an iPhone over model X, then I recommend going for a professional tool like Mobitrix LockAway that can unlock your iPhone in 20 minutes only.
In this guide, I’ve listed 5 methods to unlock your iPhone with and without iTunes. But experimenting with all these methods and trying them out in different scenarios, I conclude that Mobitrix LockAway tops all of them. As compared to the others, it is a faster, more reliable, and more secure option to go for in any case. Don't waste more time. Just download it and try it yourself.