- Find My iPhone helps users track all the devices connected to ID, especially if the iPhone is stolen or lost.
- In case you've sold your iPhone or have given it away and are concerned that your personal information is still on your previous phone and it can be abused, then don't worry. You can still turn off Find My remotely.
- Disabling the Find My option is fairly simple if you remember your Apple ID and Password. However, the process gets a little bit complicated if you don't remember your Apple Passcode or have misplaced it.
If you misplaced or lost your iPhone, you can easily locate it if you have enabled Find My feature on your device. You can even locate the iPhone of your friend or a family member.
There are other instances when you have disabled or turned off it. If you are looking to sell, trade, or give away your iPhone, you have to turn off the Find My Feature for them to access the phone by removing the activation lock. Before you trade your iPhone, make sure you erase the existing data and turn off the Find My Feature. Are you looking to send your iPhone for service at an Apple store or trying to sell it? Then don't forget to turn off the Find My feature.
During my five years as an Apple electronics technician, I handled several issues with the Find My Feature. In this article, I will provide you with a step-by-step procedure that will help you turn off Find My iPhone.
Understanding Why You Need to Enable or Turn Off Find My Option on Your iPhone
If you have been using an Apple device, you may have surely come across this special feature called Find My iPhone, which helps users track all the devices connected to ID, especially if the iPhone is stolen or lost.
The advantages of enabling the Find My iPhone:
- Every device contains personal information which needs to be protected. If your device got stolen or lost, you can easily protect it by denying access to anyone trying to misuse it by using the Find My option.
- If you've lost your phone and some good Samaritan is trying to give it back to you, then by this feature, the person can return the iPhone to its rightful owner.
- If you are concerned that the person who stole your phone will misuse your credit card information, then by using the Find My feature, you can use the Lost Mode, which allows Apple to immediately try to suspend any debit or credit cards you have stored.
When Should One Disable or Turn Off Find My iPhone Feature?
You need to turn off the Find My iPhone Feature if you are:
- In most cases, if you are trying to sell, trade, or give away an iPhone, you must disable it to ensure that others can activate and use the device.
- Protect your privacy.If you disable the Find My option, then no one will track your location or device.
- If you are trying to reset or restore your iPhone into factory or default settings.
- Most iPhone service centers and repair shops require you to turn off the Find My option to access your device.
5 Methods to Turn Off Find My iPhone Feature
Method 1: Turn Off Find My iPhone in Settings
This method is ideal for you if you still have access to your phone and remember your Apple ID and Password. It is a fairly simple process to carry out.
Follow the steps I have outlined for you down below:
- Unlock your iPhone and select the Settings option.
- Find your name at the top of the screen and click on it.
- You'll be redirected to a page where you can find the iCloud settings.
- Once you've found the Find My iPhone option, you'll be required to enter your Apple ID and Password to disable the option.
Method 2: Turn off Find My iPhone Without A Password With Mobitrix Lockaway
I have seen people panicking because they have forgotten their Apple ID and Password, and now they're unable to gain access to their phones.
If you're any of them, let me remind you there's a simple alternative. Mobitrix Lockaway is a one-stop solution for bypassing any locks for iPhone and iPad. It is useful, especially when your Apple ID is locked or disabled. With the help of Mobitrix Lockaway, you can gain access to your iPhone again by erasing the existing Apple ID and then setting a brand new Apple ID account.
Once you've successfully gotten rid of the existing Apple ID, you will be able to:
- Start anew by creating a brand new Apple ID or switching to a different one.
- You'll regain access to all of the iCloud and Apple ID features.
- Turn off Find My iPhone/iPad easily.
- Your previous Apple ID will no longer be able to be tracked.
Why Is Mobitrix Lockaway So Effective?
Mobitrix Lockaway has a competitive edge over other methods and similar platforms because of the following reasons:
- It has a higher success rate.
- The whole process of erasing the existing ID and creating a new one will take 30 minutes or less.
- Easy process to carry out and requires no technical expertise.
- Users are not required to remember their Apple ID.
- No need for iTunes.
- Step 1: Download and Install Mobitrix LockAway.
- Step 2: Click on Unlock Apple ID in the main menu.
- Step 3: Start removing Apple ID.
In case you've sold your iPhone or have given it away and are concerned that your personal information is still on your previous phone and it can be abused, then don't worry. You can still turn off Find My remotely. Check out the Method 3 and Method 4 that I have explained below.
Important note: You need to have Apple passcode handy to turn off Find My. If you don’t have it, as an ex-Apple electronics technician, I suggest going with Method 2 - Mobitrix Lockaway. This is because Mobitrix Lockaway is the only method that enables you to turn off Find My without requiring Apple passcode.
Method 3: How to Turn Off Find My iPhone Remotely on iCloud.com?
- Log into your iCloud account and select Find iPhone
- Go to All Devices and search for your device. Select the one you want to turn off.
- Click Erase iPhone
- You will receive a confirmation email once you have completed the process. Click Remove from Account when the erase is finished
- Your device's Find My iPhone feature is now disabled
If you don't have access to a computer, you can opt for the below method. You are required to remember your Apple ID Password for this alternative as well.
Method 4: How to Turn Off Find My iPhone Remotely From Another Device?
- On the selected device, look for the "Find My" option.
- Select the device you intend to turn off the "Find my iPhone" feature.
- Scroll up to locate the "Erase This Device" and tap it. Don’t enter a phone number or message when asked. This feature is to help you locate a lost device.
- The erase will be initiated when your device is online. You will receive a confirmation email when it is finished.
- Click on "Remove This Device" and select the "Remove" option once the erase is complete.
Method 5: Sign Out Of iCloud And Turn Off Find My iPhone
I recommend you not to opt for this method as you must remember your Apple ID Password. This is quite inconvenient because once you sign out of iCloud, you won't access all the functions that require you to be logged in to iCloud such as backup, downloading apps etc.
- Under the Settings, tap on your name.
- Locate the Sign Out option.
- Enter your Apple ID Password. Click on the "Turn Off" option.
- This will turn off the Find My iPhone option.
- You’ll also get an email in your Apple inbox.
- Select if you want to backup your data. A new window will appear, asking if you wish to preserve a backup of your data on this iPhone.
- Any data or documents in the iCloud drive that you don't enable will be deleted from this iPhone. They'll still be in your iCloud account.
- To turn off iCloud on your iPhone, tap "Sign Out".
Disabling the Find My option is fairly simple if you remember your Apple ID and Password. However, the process gets quite complicated if you don't remember your Apple Passcode or have misplaced it. In such cases, Mobitrix LockAway is your savior. Its quick, simple procedure with a high success rate sets it apart from other tools available in the market. Mobitrix Lockaway is highly reliable and has been helping customers resolve their iPhone lock-related issues for a long time.
Here is how you can reset your Apple ID password.
Bonus: How to Reset Apple ID Password
You may reset your Apple ID password using a trusted device with two-factor authentication. If you have a trusted device that supports two-factor authentication, you can reset your Apple ID password in Settings by following Apple's instructions.
- On the trusted device, you are required to sign in to the iCloud account you wish to reset and enable two-factor authentication.
- It's necessary to have a trusted device or a trusted phone number.
Use Your Own Device to Reset Your Password
If you are using iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch with watchOS 8 or later, then follow the steps outlined below:
- Go to Settings and tap on your name.
- Select Password & Security and click on Change Password.
- To change your password, follow the on-screen instructions.
Reset Your Password on Someone Else's Device
Through Apple Support App or the Find My iPhone app, you can rest your Apple ID Password. You can also visit an Apple Store and ask to use a device on-site.
Use the Apple Support App
Download and install Apple Support on the device you are operating and then follow the instructions outlined below:
- Click on Reset Apple ID Password.
- Select the Get Started, click on "A different Apple ID"
- Enter the Apple ID for which you want to reset the password.
- Complete the on-screen instructions.
Use the Find My iPhone App
If your friend or family member uses iOS 9 through 12 and can't download the Apple Support app, use the Find My iPhone app instead.
- Open the Find My iPhone app.
- Press on Forgot Apple ID or Password.
- Tap Forgot Apple ID or Password and follow the instructions.
If You Can't Change or Reset Your Password
If the above-mentioned methods have failed and you were unable to change or reset your password, then as a final resort, try the instructions mentioned below.
- First, go to iforgot.apple.com.
- The next step is to enter your Apple ID.
- If you've forgotten your password, click on the Reset Your Password option and choose Continue.
- After answering your security questions, you'll get an email with a recovery key.
- Enter the Recovery Key and follow the further instructions to reset your password.
To summarize, if you have forgotten your Apple ID and Password and are looking for a way to turn off the Find My iPhone feature, I highly recommend using Mobitrix Lockaway because of its efficiency. I have found it highly reliable and the success rate is much higher.
Here's a gentle reminder, next time you try to sell or trade your iPhone, please don't forget to turn off your Find My iPhone feature to prevent your data and information from being misused.