Would you like to view your Wifi password on an iPhone but have no idea how? Well, it's your lucky day. This is an informative guide with seven ways to view the Wifi password on your iPhone. You will find out how to work around iOS 16 and other earlier versions that don't show the Wifi password directly. Let's dive in.
Good News First! With iOS 16, You Can Directly Check Your WiFi Password
The iOS 16 update carries a lot of improvements, including easy access to the password of the Wifi network you are connected to. In versions below iOS 16, you cannot directly view the password of a saved WiFi network. Fortunately, there is a setting to allow quick access to the Wifi password on iPhones running on iOS 16.
How to check your Wifi password in iOS 16
- Go to Settings.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Tap on the network you are connected to.
- Tap Password, then authenticate yourself using Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode. You will then be able to get your Wifi password.
Check Wifi password in iOS 16
But, since this feature is not accessible in iOS 15 and older versions, you need to use workarounds. Though they are not as easy as the direct method in iOS 16, they are still effective. Here's how to find your Wifi password in iOS 15 and earlier.
How to View WiFi Passwords on iPhone
To view the Wifi password on an iPhone, you will need to get the IP address of the Wi-Fi router. You can access this via iPhone Settings. Once you get the IP address, you can access the router settings to view the saved Wifi password.
Steps to View WiFi Passwords on iPhone
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the blue "i" icon next to your network's name.
- Tap and hold the numbers next to Router, then select Copy. This copies your router's IP address to your iPhone's clipboard. Alternatively, you can write down the numbers.
- Open any browser on your iPhone, paste or type the IP address into the search bar, and tap Go. You will see a login panel page.
- Enter the router's username and password, then Sign in. The router login details are different from your Wifi username and password. You can find them printed on the router or in its manual.
- Click the Wireless button. However, the name of this button depends on your router. If it doesn't have the wireless button, you'll need to locate your router's basic or security settings.
- You can then view your Wifi password under the network's name.
How to find Wifi password on iPhone
Check your Wifi password via the router
How to Check Your Wifi Password Using a Mac
Another way to check your Wifi password is by using iCloud Keychain on your Mac. This works if you use the same iCloud account on your Mac and iPhone. Using the same iCloud account syncs all your data, including the Wifi password.
Steps to Check Your Wifi Password Using a Mac
- Go to Settings > tap on your Apple ID > iCloud > Keychain.
- Tap the button next to iCloud Keychain to turn on Keychain if it is not turned on. When turned on, the button should be green.
- On your Mac, click on the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Apple ID.
- Tap on iCloud and ensure Keychain is selected. If not, select it by ticking the checkbox next to it.
- Open a Finder Window.
- On the left sidebar of the Finder window, tap Applications.
- Open the Utilities Folder > Keychain Access app.
- You will see a search box. Enter your Wifi network's name and click Enter.
- Double-click your network's name from the list. You will notice a pop-up window.
- Check the box next to Show Password.
- Provide your Keychain password and click OK. It is the same password you use to sign into your Mac computer.
- You will see your Wifi password in the text box next to "Show Password."
Turn on Keychain to find your Wifi password
Open Keychain Access app to find your Wifi password
Check the box next to show password to see your Wifi password
How to View Your Personal Hotspot 's Wifi Password
Personal Hotspot is an iPhone feature that allows you to share your iPhone's mobile data connection with nearby devices over Wifi. Others can then use the Wifi network you create to access the internet. Since your iPhone is the router in this scenario, finding the Hotspot's password is easy.
Steps to View Your Personal Hotspot 's Wifi Password
- Go to Settings > Personal Hotspot.
- Check the Wifi Password menu. That is the password to your Personal Hotspot.
How to view the password for your personal hotspot
How to Share a Wifi Password on iOS 11 up to iOS 15
If you need to share the Wifi password with a friend, you don't need to look it up. As long as both iPhones (yours and your friends) are running on iOS 11 or newer, you can easily share the password without first finding it.
- You must have your friend's Apple ID in your Contacts app.
- Bluetooth must be enabled on both iPhones.
Steps to Share a Wifi Password on iOS 11 up to iOS 15
- Bring your iPhone close to the other iPhone. Both iPhones need to be close to using this feature.
- Your friend should then try to connect to the Wifi network whose password you intend to share. Your colleague should do this on their iPhone.
- A Share Your Wi-Fi window will pop up on your iPhone screen. Press Share Password.
- The Wifi password will then be sent to your friend's iPhone, and their iPhone will connect to your Wifi network.
- Press Done on your iPhone.
Share your Wifi password on iPhone
How to share your Wifi password on iOS 11 and newer
How to Check Wi-Fi Passwords Saved on an iPhone via Cydia?
If your iPhone is jailbroken or you decide to jailbreak it, you can check your Wifi password via Cydia, an app utility. However, jailbreaking your iPhone is restricted and invalidates your Apple warranty. But, it also lets you do more with your iPhone.
On Cydia, two apps can enable you to view your network password.
Using Wifi Password
- Open Cydia.
- Search and select Wifi Password from the search results.
- Tap Install.
- Once the installation process is done, tap Return to Cydia, then click the Home button.
- Go to your Home screen and run the Wifi Password app. You will be able to see the password of every network used on the iPhone before.
Install Wifi Password app to check Wifi password
- Open Cydia.
- Search for NetworkList, then tap it.
- Tap install.
- Once the installation is done, tap Restart Springboard to refresh the Home screen.
- Launch the Settings app > WLAN > Known Networks.
- You will see all saved Wifi networks with their passwords.
Install NetworkList app to view Wifi password
Can I change the password of my Personal Hotspot?
You can change your Personal Hotspot password easily. Changing it is especially helpful if you keep looking for it every other time. You can set one that is easier to remember. Go to your iPhone Settings, locate your Personal Hotspot settings, and tap the password to change it.
Does my iPhone save all Wifi passwords?
Yes! Your iPhone stores the passwords of all the networks you connect to. This is why you only need to enter the password the first time you connect to a network. Your iPhone then saves the password and automatically connects you to the network the next time you are in range. These passwords also sync across all your Apple devices.
Can you connect to a Wifi network on your iPhone without the password?
No. Since the iPhone does not support the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), you cannot join a network unless you know the password. As shown in this article, you can only access a Wifi network without the password via sharing.
I hope this article is informative and helps you find Wifi passwords easily on your iPhone. If you cannot view the password, you also know how to share it easily. Whichever method you choose, enjoy a more convenient digital life.