iPhone Face ID not Working – Complete Fix
One of the best things about the latest generations of iPhones is Face ID. It makes unlocking the device as easy as it can get. Just look at it, and it opens. However, I found myself in a situation the last week where I could not use Face ID and had to resort to using my passcode to open the phone.
I don’t know about you, but if I pay $1,200 for a phone, I don’t want to enter the passcode 91 times a day. So, I took to the internet to see how I could fix the issue. In this article, I will tell you all that I found on this subject on the internet. I think it will help anyone who has a malfunctioning Face ID.
- What to Do First if Face ID is Not Working
- Try Resetting the Phone to Make Face ID Work
- Can’t Unlock iPhone Because Face ID Not Working
- Contact Apple If Face ID is Still Not Working
What to Do First if Face ID is Not Working
The Face ID on your phone works via the TrueDepth camera on the front of the iPhone and is enabled from the settings. So, you need to make sure all things are set up and working the right way if you can’t get the device to unlock via Face ID.
1. Check Face ID Settings
You need to enable face ID to be able to use it. To make sure it is active:
- Go to the Settings app on your phone.
- Head over to Face ID and Passcode.
- Make sure that Face ID is set up and it is enabled for the purpose you are using it for. You need to enable it separately for unlocking the phone, Apple Pay, and accessing biometric log-in on apps. See if the relevant switches are in the “On” position.
Make Sure Face ID is Correctly Set Up
Just like fingerprints, you need to give the Face ID sensors some baseline data to recognize your face. If the data is not good, the function can have problems. Here’s how you can set up Face ID.
- Open the Settings app and go to Face ID and Passcode. Enter your passcode or password if prompted.
- Click on Set Up Face ID.
- Read the instructions and hit the Get Started button. The Face ID camera will start scanning your face.
- Once your face has been scanned, tap the Continue button and move your head gently as directed to complete the second round of scanning.
- Tap Done and Face ID will be set up and work right, in theory at least.
2. Check the TrueDepth Camera
At the center of the notch on the top of your phone is the TrueDepth camera unit. This unit has an infrared light and a sensor. These work in close coordination to make sure Face ID functions the right way.
You need to make sure the following things if Face ID does not work on your device:
- Nothing (not even the screen protector) is covering the TrueDepth Camera.
- There is no scratch on the glass over the TrueDepth camera, which can interfere with its workings.
- You are properly facing the camera, and your face is not at an angle to the phone.
- Your face is not covered by anything and is fully visible.
- There is not a bright source of light directly behind you that can blind the TrueDepth Camera.
3. Restart the Phone
Sometimes something as simple as restarting the device can solve a problem. Press and hold the side button and then slide the slider to turn the phone off. Wait for a couple of minutes and then turn the phone on again. This might solve the problem.
4. Update iOS
If a security vulnerability is discovered in a version of iOS, Apple can deactivate security features like the Face ID. In such a case, you’ll need to update the version of iOS on your device to get your Face ID to work.
You can find software updates under the General option in the Settings App. Use it to check if you have the latest version of iOS. If you don’t have it, download, and install the software update, and it might fix the Face ID not working issue.
5. Check with an Alternate Appearance
Face ID has the ability to recognize you even if you look different. However, if you start looking entirely different, like after an injury or a cosmetic surgery, or if you grow (or cut a heavy beard), the camera might not be able to recognize you.
To deal with this, Face ID gives you the option to add an alternate appearance. Here’s how you can do that:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Go to Face ID and Password and enter your password to open this menu.
- Tap the option saying, “Set Up an Alternate Appearance.”
- Align your face inside the circle on the screen.
- Gently rotate your head as directed to complete the circle. If you have a problem with moving your head, tap the Accessibility Options button.
- When the face scan is complete, click Continue, and scan your face in the same manner for the second time.
- After the second scan is complete, click Done to finish setting up the alternate appearance.
Try Resetting the Phone to Make Face ID Work
If none of the above methods works for you, you can try resetting your phone to make Face ID work. Here’s how you can do that:
1. Reset Face ID
Resetting Face ID is an approach that you need to use to fix Face ID if you don’t want to delete the data and settings on the phone. Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to the settings app and tap Face Id and Passcode.
- Click on the option saying, “Reset Face ID.”
- Set up Face ID again as explained above.
Step 1 – Go to the settings app and tap Face Id and Passcode.
Step 2 – Click on the option saying, “Reset Face ID.”
Step 3 – Set up Face ID again as explained above.
2. Reset iPhone
If your Face ID issue is still not solved, the last thing you can do to get it to work without losing your data is resetting all settings on the phone. Here’s how that can be done:
- Open the Settings app and go to General.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the lost and click Reset.
- Click on Reset All Settings. Enter your password to reset all settings on the phone.
If even this can’t solve the problem you are facing; you’ll need to do something drastic. However, don’t worry, we have the best tool for that. Continue reading to find out.
Can’t Unlock iPhone Because Face ID Not Working
If Face ID is not working on your iPhone and you also don’t remember the password, you need to reset the iPhone. There are a bunch of ways to do that, but, in my opinion, the best one is using Mobitrix LockAway- Unlock iPhone Passcode. It is a third-party software that works wonders with iPhones that need to be reset due to forgotten log-in credentials. The things that make it the best tool for this task include but are not limited to:
- It supports all generations of Apple’s phones, from iPhone 5 to iPhone 13.
- It works with all versions of iOS.
- Unlike other iPhone reset options, it takes just a few minutes.
- The user interface is friendly and easy to use.
- It can be used to reset, bypass, or unlock Face ID.
- It can reset the phone without you having to enter the screen passcode.
Here’s how you can use this tool to reset your iPhone if you don’t know the passcode and Face ID won’t work.
- Install LockAway on your computer and launch it. Click on the Start button and then connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cable.
- Start the device in recovery mode. You can see the method for this on the Apple website.
- After booting up in recovery mode, click on Download, and the software will start downloading the Keyfile for the phone.
- Once the Keyfile has been downloaded, click on Start to Verify the integrity of the package.
- After the Keyfile package has been verified, click on Start to Unlock to begin the unlock process.
- You’ll be asked twice to confirm your selection. Enter the passcode “111111” to continue.
- The iPhone will be unlocked in a few minutes.
For me, it was LockAway that solved the problem. Imagine my relief after having the problem solved when I tried all of the methods above and failed, and then this approach worked for me.
Contact Apple If Face ID is Still Not Working
If, by any chance, the problem is still not solved, the issue is with the internals of the phone, and no one but Apple can solve it. Contact the local Apple support center, and they will most likely have a fix for your problem. Sometimes, they can remotely fix the problem, and sometimes they need to physically access the device.
To Sum Up
In this article, I have explained all the methods and hacks there are for correcting a Face ID not working problem. Some of them work for some problems and others for others.
In my opinion, the best method for doing this is to use LockAway. It makes resetting iPhones as easy as it can get and solves the problem in a fraction of the time it takes other tools to do the same. It worked for me, and I am sure it will work for you as well.